SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steveberry

Using Ca natives in Butterfly Gardens

steveberry
15 years ago

Hi,

My first post here on these forums, after a few years of lurking.

I'm expanding some planting beds in my yard, and I'm planning on using many bird and butterfly attracting plants, preferrably CA natives when possible.

I already have some Buddleja, and I already have some Sambucus. Now, everyone loves Buddleja, but Sambucus mexicana (Blue Elderberry) also has nice panicles of flowers, makes berries for birds, and is supposed to be a butterfly attractant. I've also done enough research to see that willows are great host plants-- perhaps a scrubby/shrubby one would work in my yard (although I already have to Fremont Poplars, which seem to host some of the same butterflies??)

Does anyone have any experience with Sambucus or Willows?? I'm debating using one of them instead of some Buddleja's. I've noticed these forums don't have a real heavy contingent of CA posters, using CA natives, so I wasn't sure if there was much experience with these plants.

I'm also curious about Penstemmons, Monkey flowers and California fuscia. If I go to websites that feature CA natives, these are always mentioned as the best of the best to use for attracting butterflies, but oddly they're not featured here at all in the "great nectar plants" FAQ. Is this because they're not really that good? Or do most of the posters simply live in other areas??

I'm just trying to save myself from planting a bunch of plants and spending a lot of money, and then wishing I had done something else.

Any help would be wonderful. Thanks.

Comments (16)

Sponsored