SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ams2009

sick giant swallowtail caterpillars!!! HELP!!!

ams2009
14 years ago

A little over a week ago, I found some giant swallowtial caterpillars on my dwarf washington navel tree, the tree only produces foliage on one side, and has never produced any fruit, so what little foliage that is on the tree was quickly being eaten up by the cats. I purchased a second tree from my local nursery, I explained to the person i spoke with at the nursery that I intended to use this tree to feed GST cats with, and asked if any pesticides or chemicals had been used or sprayed on the tree, the assured me that it had not been treated with any pesticides or chemicals. I placed the new tree right beside the other dwarf tree and within a few days, a few of the caterpillars migrated over to the new tree and began eating leaves on it. Yesterday, i noticed one of the larger (4th instar) cats on the ground writhing around, excreting a green fluid all over his body it appeared, later another smaller cat did same. Almost like convulsions, laying curled up on their sides, green fluid all over leaves they are on, they fell out of the tree several times so I finally moved them into a Critter box and took them inside, they are still curled up, and soggy with green fluid, not eating or moving much, can anyone tell me what could cause this? i placed leaves from the old tree only in their box, and i have them sitting by an open window so they will not get too cold. i removed the new tree so the other cats won't eat the leaves in case the problem is poison from pesticide. If anyone has any ideas as to what is making the cats sick, and what i can do, please let me know, thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored