SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

Finally seeing Monarchs in my garden ...

Mary Leek
12 years ago

Finally seeing some Monarchs in my small gardens AND I have 5 that eclosed this morning and will be on their way south in a couple of hours. The photo below was taken a couple of hours ago of one of my lovely weekend visitors.

I went to an open house at Pine Ridge Gardens near London, AR, yesterday and had a great time. Got to see many of the native Arkansas plants and best of all, got to see some of the fall native wildflowers in bloom. Naturally spent more than I should have but what else is new! :-)

I'm really excited about one wildflower in particular, a Stokesia 'Peaches' Pick'. It has a bloom that resembles Bachelor Buttons and supposedly blooms for several weeks in the fall. It is also supposed to be an excellent nectar source for late summer, early fall. Looks like it has good sturdy flower stems that will hold up well in our summer downpours. The plant is a bit rough looking right now but I know it will shape up into a beautiful plant. MaryAnn really had her hands full trying to keep all the potted plants alive during our extreme temps this summer.

Does anyone grow the Stokes Aster 'Peaches' Pick'? I am wondering if the seed will come true or if it needs to be divided to remain true.

~Mary

Monarch on Liatris ligulistylis (meadow blazing star)

{{gwi:538778}}

Comments (10)

Sponsored