SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ams2009

Giant Swallowtail Caterpillars

ams2009
14 years ago

I found these guys a little over a week ago, I had never seen one of them before! Their appearance is very interesting to say the least!! They are on my dwarf washington Navel tree that has never produced any fruit. I had to google search to find out what they were, and when I found out and saw the Giant Swallowtail Butterfly pictures, I immediately remembered seeing "Momma" in my yard a few times recently! I have been hesitant to move them as I do not want to interfere and cause them harm. But, there were 12-13 at first, now they are down to 7, and one of those appears to be sickly, and has a deformed head. One has started pupation, and I believe the rest of them are all fourth instars, except for one. It has been raining here for past two days, it just stopped this morning, they seem to be fine, except for the one with the deformed head (I'll post pics of him). I was wondering if it would be best for me to leave them where they are at this point in their life, or if I should move them to protect them, I am not sure if the others fell victim to birds or other predators, or if they left the tree to pupate somewhere else, I have looked and cannot find them anywhere. Any advice is appreciated, I purchased a second navel tree for them, and would like to see them grow into their final form, it is quite an experience watching the one little guy start process of pupating, I am a nature geek, lol. thanks!! Here are some pics of the cats

http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/yy357/ams_2009_2009/freaky%20snake%20caterpillars/

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus