SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wifey2mikey

Butterfly Activity is Picking Up

wifey2mikey
11 years ago

After our scorching summer temperatures, I wasn't sure what to expect as we get closer to Fall, but so far, it seems activity is picking up. I had Gulf Frits all summer long and have probably released near 100 - still have them and they are still laying eggs so I expect that number to increase.

Monarchs seemed to hang around in low numbers all summer which I've never noticed before... I released three small batches (two or three at a time) and then just in the past few weeks, their numbers have also increased. I released 6 this morning and have 5 more chrysalides, and 11 cats. I continue to see more and more in the yard as I guess we are nearing migration time, so hopefully my tropical and swamp milkweed will hold out until then. I fought aphids all summer on the tropical and they are in really bad shape. :-(

And the Black Swallowtails, which were very low in numbers all summer seem to be making a come back. I currently have 20 caterpillars and around 8 chrysalides. I released one male today.

My lone Giant Swallowtail emerged last week, and I found some eggs on the rue, so we shall see.

Hope everyone else is beginning to see more activity as we head into Fall.

~Laura

Comments (7)

Sponsored