SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nebu_gw

Polydamas Cats are finally here!!

nebu
14 years ago

I glimpsed this Polydamas just a couple of weeks ago, This is one of the most elusive butterflies in my vicinity.

{{gwi:535882}}

Which is why I recently started growing pipevine (from seed btw) that was kind of an uphill battle (it's really hot here in FL) But, managed to grow one nice one on a trellis. Where I am, they seem to prefer moderate shade and filtered light.

Last weekend to my surprise...

{{gwi:535883}}

After about a year of growing pipevines, there were cats on the vine. Mission accomplished. The eagle has landed.

{{gwi:535884}}

this was taken with my phone 9-4-09.

These pipevine flowers were taken the week prior to me noticing the eggs. also taken with phone. I ordered the seeds from someone on ebay.

{{gwi:535885}}

{{gwi:535886}}

Here are a couple of nice photos I also took with the phone, this camera on my phone is nice.

{{gwi:535887}}

{{gwi:535888}}

{{gwi:535889}}

Comments (21)

• MissSherry
    14 years ago

The pictures are great, Nick! What variety of lantana is that? I love the bright orange coloring, and apparently so do the butterflies! That's a great close-up picture of the long-tailed skipper!
    Your pipevine must be A. gigantea? I'm not really that familiar with the tropical pipevines, but I know that mine prefer part sun/part shade, too.
    Congrats, congrats on those darling cats! Polydamas cats are very similar to pipevine swallowtail cats, but polys are more mottled brown and red, whereas pipevine swallowtails are more red at this stage, then black with red later on.
    You can keep your vine making new growth by pruning it when it stops growing, which it will do when it gets real big, and the weather gets real hot. Fertilizing it and watering it when it doesn't rain helps, too. Mama butterflies really prefer the new growth for ovipositing.
    Sherry

• nebu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I bought that lantana at walmart because every time I google pictures of butterflies they are usually on orange/red lantanas. I notice you have one like mine, but yours is lankier, is yours in more shade? Mine gets almost all sun.

I wish I remembered which aristolochia this was, but It seems to grow well, like you said it likes very fertile dirt

I am very excited to have these guests. You are so lucky to have pipevine swallowtails so readily available, I haven't seen one yet.

• Related Discussions

What is this plant and is it toxic to cats? Third and final plant

Q

Comments (3)
    Schefflera. Don't know about cats, but I had one with my two cats for many years and they were never harmed. Here is a link that might be useful: Schefflera
    ...See More

First Polydamas of the season, eggs too!

Q

Comments (1)
    That's great about your poly eggs, Mary! I'm looking forward to having gulf frits, but I don't have enough vines to feed many yet - the cold weather delayed their emergence. An adult gulf frit came through here several weeks ago, but didn't leave me any eggs. And I SURE hope you get some ZLWs!! Sherry
    ...See More

Cat Lady's Garden- 4th & final installment-lots of pix

Q

Comments (6)
    Hehe...they do have a way of doing that, jumping in the car! Ballerina on Ice is one of my all time favorites! It's an early bloomer (here) with perfect blooms...I love it! Enjoyed your pictures and know you had a grand time!
    ...See More

finally some cats!

Q

Comments (6)
    Yep, those are Eastern Blacks but they have a ways to go yet. Hope you have enough food for them. If you can find carrot tops, they will eat those too. I have found one egg on my fennel but none on my parsley. Did find 7 Giant Swallowtail eggs on my Wild Lime this morning. Have several large Monarch cats around and Polydamas cats on my Pipevine. Several Zebra Longwings on Passionvines. We just got back from vacation and was happy to see all of these. The wasps can wipe out the eggs and the cats on the parlsey, dill and fennel. I would bring in any cats you see to protect them.
    ...See More
  • MissSherry
    14 years ago

Mine is in part sun/shade, and it's Sonset, which gets tall (about 6') wide(about 8') and lanky. Most of the newer lantanas are MUCH more compact. I just made this picture - I had to hold my camera up to take it -
    {{gwi:535890}}
    Sherry

• nebu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is that wild lime in the background? behind the lantana and GST

• MissSherry
    14 years ago

There are a combination of things growing in that area - yaupon, lead plant, blueberries, that %#*! Chinese privet - but none of them are wild lime/Zanthoxylum fagara.
    I've thought about planting some to see how it'd do here. Do you have any, Nick? Is it thorny like Hercules club/Z. clava-herculis? My Hercules club only got one GST egg in its life, so I dug it up and got rid of it. Maybe they'd like wild lime better.
    Sherry

• bernergrrl
    14 years ago

Great pics, and love that butterfly!

• fighting8r
    14 years ago

I never see cats on wild lime here, not that I look all that much as none of said lime is growing in my yard. But when I do come across one I am looking for the little guys. Inspected a couple at a local bf garden yesterday and found no cats nor any evidence of them, bite marks, etc.

And the thorns on the wild lime are actually more like fish hooks! They hook your skin and hang on, very nasty!!

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

I have Wild Lime and the thorns are wicked. I have raised a ton of Giants on the Wild Lime. The Momma doesn't lay too many eggs s whenever I see one, I bring it in. I have about a half dozen now (cats) and several chrysalis, which are taking forever to eclose.

I have a tangerine tree but never see cats on it or my Rue.

Nick,
    I have SO MANY Polydamas. They have literally eaten all the new growth off my established vine TWICE this year. DH estimated that I had at least 2 dozen flying around in the yard the other day. They are like little boys playing tag, they chase each other around and then scatter to regroup. They are also linda territoral. They will chase away other species over my Pentas and nectar flowers.

• MissSherry
    14 years ago

Hmmm....I don't think I'll try wild lime - I didn't like the thorns on the hercules club, so I'm sure I won't like them on the lime.
    I've got rue, a few Ptelea trifoliatas, and a big orange tree - those will do.
    Sherry

• fighting8r
    14 years ago

Same "problem" here as Mary, poor pipevine barely gets a couple of sprouts of green and they eat it down again. I'm going around town cutting vines to feed.

Nick maybe I can post a map to your vine outside for them?

• nebu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

to mboston: nice, I haven't had personal experience with wild lime, they always use my tangelo tree. Or just come from the woods. Nice insight on the polydamas. What county are you close to?

to Sherry: Yes, I would think the citrus is the best, maybe in zones 8 and south? Recently, I was at a nature preserve park locally, there was lime every where and I saw giants.

to fighting82: haha, wow. Send them my way!I wish pipevines were plants that were readily available at nurseries.

• fighting8r
    14 years ago

Nick, yes pipevine is not available in many places, nor do I see it growing many places (usually only where people have purposely planted butterfly hosts). Which makes it even more amazing how many polys we have.

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

I'm on Lakeland, Nick. My vine covers the depth of my yard and partially across the width of it. Its up in the Cassia tree, too and they have eaten it all. Just on the gate to my backyard, we counted over 2 dozen chrysalis that have opened. They are obvious cause there's no new growth there.

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

I am growing an Ichang lemon in hopes of attracting GSTs, but they readily use my Rue as well. The Ichang is hardy to 0 degrees and has made it thru 2 winters here so far. It is well protected by my hardy lantana 'Miss Huff', and will hopefully attract GSTs once it is larger. Made it to 3' tall this summer. I feed; it grows. I think a lot of people use Prickly Ash in the northern states.

Susan

• nebu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The cats are very large and ready to pupate any day now.
    {{gwi:535891}}

{{gwi:535892}}

{{gwi:535893}}

I hope I can find chrysali.

• MissSherry
    14 years ago

Woohoo! They look to be full size alright!
    I brought in 9 tiny pipevine swallowtail hatchlings yesterday, and I'll probably bring in more - they're so much fun to raise!
    I sure hope you find some chrysalides, too! I saw some newly emerged polys when I was visiting my daughter and we traveled to a native plant nursery in Sarasota - their colors had that newly-emerged-vividness!
    Sherry

• nebu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I had another batch of Polydamas caterpillars, and I took in three, one died left with two. I am determined to take some high-res closeups of a freshly emerged Polydamas.
    {{gwi:535894}}

{{gwi:535895}}

{{gwi:535896}}

{{gwi:535897}}

Nick

• fighting8r
    14 years ago

Nice! I have two (or three) in pupa now, these 50-some degree nights are really slowing the process though.
    Have bunches of teeny polys too, my pipevines cannot get a break!!
    Good luck with yours and catching 'em in photos!

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

My poor vine is trying to recover but I am still having some ladies laying on it. I move all the babies to the only area that has much vine left on it. Hoping that we have warm enough weather for the next month so that when it does frost/freeze at least the main stems will have some protection. I am really concerned about next year. I am back to where I was the first couple of years I planted it - like 10 years ago! Am thinking about potting up some baby plants to keep sheltered for next spring.

• nebu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yesterday was a horrible day to eclose, it was very cold and rainy. This little one, sat and waited all day inside my butterfly bush for protection. Last night was going to drop to 45 degrees, so I brought him in to sleep. This morning, I managed to take a couple half-way decent photos!

with flash in my breakfast nook.
    {{gwi:535898}}

direct sunlight
    {{gwi:535899}}

{{gwi:535900}}

I still have one more chrysalis to go.

Today as well as the rest of the week should be warmer.

Nick

• butterflymomok
    14 years ago

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing your adventures with the Polys.

Sponsored