SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Buckeye in the Grass and Two Surprise Plants

MissSherry
14 years ago

I checked out the Agalinis/pink foxglove up by the main road yesterday and found two early instar buckeye caterpillars. I haven't seen any adults around, but obviously at least one has been here! When I came back with my camera, I couldn't find one of them, then I looked in the grass below the host plant, and there it was! Buckeyes leave the host plant so much, it makes me afraid to walk through the grasses, wildflowers, etc. up there, for fear I might step on one. More and more Agalinis is coming up every year, now there's a lot of it. We don't mow the area until late fall after all the seed has fallen naturally, or, if there's any left on the plant, I've scattered it myself - I think it's paying off.

I got this picture of the little buckeye in the grass -

{{gwi:533197}}
I think I'm going to wait until they get bigger to bring them in. It's hard to keep Agalinis fresh, and if I wait I may find more cats.

On the way back the second time, I passed by a low, wet area, and look what I found!

{{gwi:533198}}
I don't remember planting this cardinal flower, although I did plant some on another section of my property. I sowed some seeds in that area several years ago, but nothing came up right away, so I figured they didn't take - 'looks like they did!

I also noticed two little Carolina laurel cherry plants coming up along my driveway/road. A lot of it grows on the Coast, but I've never seen it growing here - I guess there must be some here, and a bird dropped the seed. I don't know if it's a host plant for anything - I'll have to look it up.

Sherry

Comments (7)

Sponsored