SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davissue_zone9

visiting the Carolinas in September

davissue_zone9
16 years ago

Greetings from a fellow garden-webber from California! My hubby is going to a convention in Raleigh in mid-September, and is agreeable to turning it into a vacation. I will explore the garden opportunities while he's busy with the convention, I plan to hit the Raulston Arboretum, Plant Delights and Niche nursery without him. But then I need to come up with less garden related things to do with him afterwards. I was thinking of Old Salem, the Duke tobacco museum (my husband works with tobacco use statistics and is especially curious about anything to do with tobacco), look around Duke university, then go over to the outer banks, which has always caught my imagination when I've read about them. I want to see Kitty Hawk, Roanoke Island, drive down the outer banks to Ocracote, take the ferry to Swan Quarter and then drive as directly as possible to Charleston S.C.

(I'd love to know, if we start out in the Kill Hills area and go south down the banks, take the ferry across and drive to Charleston, how long we should allow for that, something tells me it's at least a two day drive.) Once in Charleston, I guess we'll do some walking tours, go to a couple of the plantations, do a swamp tour, and I think there's a tea plantation? We've got eight days free after the convention, I've probably bit off more than we can chew. We're flying in and out of Raleigh. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks a bunch! Sue

Comments (7)