SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garce_gw

NEWBIE: Questions about Tropical Pitcher Plant

garce
18 years ago

Hi gang. I'm new here.

I've been growing carnivorous plants off and on since about the Nixon administration, with various success. Well, they're all dead now anyway except two. I have a little Venus flytrap I picked up at Walmart 2 days ago. Its still alive so far. The other is a very large Nepenthes Miranda I bought about a year ago when I lived in San Antonio Texas. It had traps the size of budweiser bottles. When I was standing in the cash register line the lady behind me just glanced at it and shrieked. When I took it home it cleared out a big nest of hornets all by itself. It was one helluva plant.

I moved to Augusta Georgia since, which seems drier. The plant continues glumly to make leaves, but no pitchers. And the leaves get old pretty quickly. Its alive but has lost its edge, much like its owner.

So - I presently have the plant in a hanging basket with coconut fiber matting, with a layer of gravel and a layer of the original potting peat and a layer of epiphytic orchid mix and more of the original potting peat. It seems okay, but still not perky. It just looks like a plant with big leaves. It doesn't look like a killer anymore. Am I doing ANY of this right?

Can anyone advise me how to get some pizazz back into this King Kong of a plant, and how to encourage it to make pitchers again?

Chris Garcia

Comments (7)

Sponsored