SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stickgarden

need help planning for august 25-

stickgarden
16 years ago

I posted this in conversations, didn't know the difference between that and discussions (I'm still not sure if I really understand the difference, but never mind!) Anyway- what do you all think over here?

Hello all-

I'm very much a beginner, just bought my first house about six months ago, and I've been working hard on my yard since the beginning of april- The house is small, but the land is huge and we have patios and terracing everywhere, so it's a lot of fun. I've gotten rid of a tiny bit of the neglect, put in some native grasses, a vegetable garden, some wildflowers, and a succulent garden, plus a small area of ferns and hydrangeas- built a compost bin, set up watering with soaker hoses, transplanted all the jasmine and bougainvilleas I had in containers at the old house (so far, I think they might make it!) but there's still so much to do... And this is all on top of remodeling the house, opening a business, and working more than 50 hours a week.

So, given the time restraints, I'm a little concerned about our housewarming party, which is coming up at the end of August. Most of the partying will happen outside and I want it to live up to my vision- I guess I'll just put some mulch down wherever it looks neglected- but I'm looking for anything I can do now, easy and inexpensive, that will help- seeds I can plant, mainly, I guess. Also, I am trying to keep it organic, low water, mostly california natives- don't want to plant anything too invasive that I'll later regret. We have a lot of ivy and ice plant that I already have to deal with, don't want any more of that! I indulged myself with the ferns but I'm already a little bit sorry about it (doesn't stop me from putting more in there, I'm afraid).

Please help! I am a quick learner but there's so much information, and I just don't have the time!

Thanks so much everyone- I've already gotten so much knowledge from all of you-

Comments (8)