SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrmotley

What are these spots on my Easter Lily Cactus?

mrmotley
16 years ago

I bought an Easter Lily Cactus (Echinopsis oxygona) last november. It was a nice Monrovia one and I remember the rootball being large and very moist. I put it in a terra cotta pot with about 1 1/2 inches of room on either side of the root ball, and about an inch on the bottom. I used fast draining cactus-specific soil. Last winter I kept it outside on our "covered" porch where temperatures got down to freezing. I only watered it once or twice.

This spring the cactus failed to bloom. I now keep it in full sun, and it gets a complete drenching occasionally. I gave it a bit of general purpose fertilizer early in the spring.

Looking at the cactus, it just doesn't look like it is healthy. It is forming these striations/spots between the ridges. What are these? When I poked my finger down into the soil, the soil was bone dry. I don't get the feeling the cactus roots have really spread out or "established" themselves.

What are the unsightly spots/striations? Are they normal? Should I give this thing less sun, more water/fertilizer to help it establish itself?

Please see pics of the cactus here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/johnyeatts/Cactus

Thanks for any help.

Comments (2)