SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chinampatom

Young baobab length of dormancy

ChinampaTom
9 years ago

I grew a baobab (a. digitata) from seed last spring (April or May). Only one out of 12 seeds sprouted, but the little guy flourished. Kept it in a relatively sunny, but sheltered (from rain) location. We had a mild winter down here this year, unlike everyone else...not wet and not very cold...even my cacao was fine.

Anyway, back in Dec or January the baobab, about two feet tall, started to lose all its leaves and I moved it under a protective patio roof so it would stay dry from any cold, damp days that might happen, but with good southern exposure. I may have accidentally watered it lightly once in a while while tending to other plants...negligible splatterings at worst.

That being said, we're now here in May and no new leaf growth has occurred. The stems are still plump and vibrant, seemingly not dry and dead. I was aware of this species' dormancy, but, with the intention of perhaps hastening the reawakening process, I potted it up from a three- to a 10-gallon container with very coarse sand, perlite, pea gravel and compost mix. After transitioning I watered it copiously for about three days. Was this a mistake?

Should I keep drenching it every day for a period to simulate a rainy, warm season in Africa (the temps are already summer-like here)? Am I being too precocious with the process? I'm patient (as I was with my paulownia, which did eventually bounce back spectacularly last month), but I want to encourage this plant. I'm thinking of ordering more seeds and trying again, so even if this was a mistake, I can learn from it and not repeat.

Thank you in advance...

Comments (5)