SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yeshwant91

Potting Mix for DIY Sedum GreenRoof

yeshwant91
16 years ago

Hi all! I also posted on the Soil Forum, but now think this might be the most appropriate forum for this question.

I am trying to make a modular green roof for my old townhouse. Basically, the modules consist of 2x1 nursery flat-like containers with drainage (some use a filter membrane/ landscape fabric at the bottom which I won't), soil/ potting mix and sedum cuttings/ rootings.

I have looked at the ones commercially available and it seems to me that I might be able to design my own much cheaper using nursery flats with drainage holes, growing medium and sedum plants. I am going to try it on a small area as an experiment.

The growth media are closely guarded secrets, but so far I have read that you need to keep organics down to 20-25% otherwise they will decompose, compact and settle. The cheap mixes use potting mix and vermiculite, but I've read the vermiculite shatters over time and becomes powder and the peat moss turns into slime.

So I had planned to use Miracle Gro Potting Mix as the organic and crushed brick for the inorganic (brick mulch available at the Home Improvement Store). I was going to use Vermiculite/ PermaTill (expanded slate)/ Perlite in some combo or alone instead of brick, but decided that Brick should have the same properties and be more easily available in bulk.

Remember, I will need to cover about 200 sq ft., so some of the media available in small bags at the home improvement store (perlite, vermiculite) may not quite cut it.

I also need to keep costs down.

And since this will be a large area, I will not be able to repot every few years and the mix will have to survive forever.

Mix also needs to be lightweight as it will be on a roof.

Do you think this will work? Any suggestions?

Topsoil better than peat moss ?

Use gravel/ sand instead of brick? What kind?

Where can I easily get all these materials. Thanks!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor