SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peter_clark30

Replacing mulch with groundcover

Peter Clark
4 years ago

Around the perimeter of my yard I currently have mulch and I do love it, but so does my dog who loves to eat it and then throws it up. We've discussed many options and are now focusing on replacing it all with some sort of ground cover.

The area in question is between our fence and landscaping timbers used as edging. Some areas are full afternoon sun while other areas are under cedar trees. We have some hydrangeas planted we would want the ground cover to grow around. And we are just north of Chicago.

My focus currently is on sedum, creeping thyme, and creeping phlox.

Since it is a large area to cover, I would ideally want something that I could space out a lot and have fill in quickly to reduce cost. It also would need to be pet safe and be able to handle dogs walking on it and maybe once a week a human. Ideally something short too.

Any thoughts on what could work best? I know sedum comes in tiles which sound good, but I don't know if it then spreads well. I also don't know where to get the tiles since the store right by me just has tiny pots of it but I have not yet checked the big hardware stores or other garden stores a bit further away.

Thank you!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional