SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nmcnear

How often to water Spanish Moss?

nmcnear
13 years ago

I am trying to grow some Spanish Moss (Tillandsia usneoides) on a tree in my yard, and I'm clueless as to how often it needs to be watered during our hot, dry Bay Area summer. Most of the info I can find online says not to water it, but it's also written for people live in its natural habitat. In southern Louisiana, where my plant is from, they receive a lot of rain and humidity during the summer which provides the plant with enough moisture.

The plant in my yard gets dappled sunlight most of the day and is also located near a swimming pool, which I hope will raise the humidity a bit. I water the moss usually 2-3 times a week with the hose, but I'm unsure if this is too much or too little. So far I've succeeded in not killing it, since it's still green and supple looking, but I can't really tell if it's thriving or not since it's such a slow grower to begin with. I guess I'll know how happy it is later in the year when it either flowers or doesn't.

Is anyone else here growing Spanish Moss outdoors? There's a lot of conflicting and just plain incorrect information about this species on the internet (like that it's sensitive to freezing temperatures, when in fact much of its habitat drops into the mid 20s or even lower in the winter).

Comments (12)