SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
givelittle_getlots

OT: POTD: Mystery Plumeria cutting from Chocolate Brug

givelittle_getlots
14 years ago

Good Morning to all and to all a great day!

This cutting CB send me not to long ago has just a gorgeous bloom color! I tried to take a better picture but for the strangest reason the camera just does not take good pictures when there is red or red tone involved. So this is the best I could do but just had to share this beauty with you all
{{gwi:511258}}From POTD for July 09

thank you again CB. My first inflo that I GREW out. Besides taking cuttings from my neighbor that are already in bloom lol

Hugs

Lucy

Comments (30)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

Just beautiful. Is it fragrant?? I love all the rich rainbow plumerias.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

That is just beautiful! That CB is a very nice gardener!

• Related Discussions

ot: potd: ooops with the game going i almost forgot the potd lol

Q

Comments (13)
    Beautiful Amaryllis, mine got too tall this year also. Brrrrrrrrrr is right! Here in San Antonio we are expecting the coldest weather in 40 years. We might not get above freezing on Friday! Many of the plants I brought in a few weeks ago are sprouting new leaves. The first hard freeze snuck up on us and I accidentally left the Duranta out and thought it was dead, but now it's sprouting new leaves. Even one small Brug cutting that got left out is now sprouting from the bottom even though the top is shriveled. We'll be moving the Christmas lights over to the plants that are too big to bring in.
    ...See More

OT - Plumeria cuttings

Q

Comments (20)
    Bob at my age...I got the patience for like 40 seedlings or so hahahahahahaha NO I am not THAT old roflmao Bob I wonder if you can share a picture of your seedlings? that would be awesome. Cause every time I look at the progress mine make...I wonder how SLOW or fast they will grow. Just like the Ardeniums lol I swear they will NEVER get bigger lol Lucy Oh and by the way...I too am hoping for a great surprise out of the seedlings :-) roflmao then I am surprised almost every day now when a new seedling I grew out over the winter...starts to show WHAT it is. How BIG it is growing. I got at least TWO kinds...that I SWEAR are WEEDS and I transplanted them ever so carefully and with love. So I am just letting them grow for now. Cause I am saying to myself that there is NO WAY that the birds planted THAT MANY in my seedling trays...you know what I mean? lol
    ...See More

ot: potd: please id this plant for me

Q

Comments (15)
    When I googled for the JOO and saw the variegated kind, I said WOW now that one is pretty too. After some of you mentioned how dark green the leaves are...I went and looked at all the other plants. I think it might have to do with the soil. The bed in the front is more sandy and does not hold water well. I have even improved it a lot this year and it is still not as good as I would like it to be. But THERE the leaves are a LOT lighter then in all the other places. So I do not know if it is just the soil? some are in full sun. Some are in only morning Sun and some are in afternoon sun and all but the one in the front have lush dark green leaves. Since I like it so much I transplanted one in EACH flowerbed today lol Karyn thank you again. You made growing this plant SO much more fun Lucy
    ...See More

ot: potd : this proofs that seeds can take a long time to sprout

Q

Comments (1)
    Good morning all. Lucy, that is great advice about never giving up on our seeds/plants! It will be a wonderful surprise when your seedlings grow and bloom as to color.
    ...See More
  • marquest
    14 years ago

That is beautiful. I have two I have been waiting for blooms for 4 years. They may get the snow and ice treatment this year.

• byrd4460
    14 years ago

Lucy I Am So Happy For You.
    You Are A Good Plummie Mommie.!!!!!!
    That Is So Beautiful~~~~~~

Chocolate Brug

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dave not sure if it has a fragrance. By the time I got to it it was so hot...All I managed was SEEING it...my nose had a hard time breathing in this heat lol

Pam, Chocolate Brug is a person with a heart as big as Texas. AT LEAST!!!

Marcia (marquest do I have your name right?)Did you start your plummies from seed? That is a long time otherwise.

Chocolate Brug thank you that you shared your treasure with me and let me grow it. Yes the Plummies really seem to like me. The Cutting that my neighbor gave me last fall has a inflo with LOTS of blooms coming. And the beauty about that one is that around the inflo are equally spread out 4 new stems growing out. yippeeeeeeeeeee

Lucy

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I tried...ha ha ha but I just saw in the other post that I have names mixed up. In case you do not know this about me yet...I am horrible with names and take a long time to remember...sometimes 4FR or as with plants...they just do not stick until I grow them myself and THEN I might not remember from one season to the next either rofl

Again, sorry for having called you Marcia.
    Lucy

• chena
    14 years ago

BEAUTIFUL Lucy!!!!
    Are you still holding one hostage for me?? That Beautiful Yellow???
    Chocolate made me look ya know!!LOLOLOL..

Kylie

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OF COURSE!!!! I will hand deliver it to ya :-) Have a few more cuttings rooting. Not only broke 2 of the neighbors little ones off when I watered his garden. After he came back 2 more broke off when his huge Plumeria tree fell over and I got them too lol

Glad you looked my friend

Hugs
    Lucy

• marquest
    14 years ago

"Marcia (marquest do I have your name right?)Did you start your plummies from seed? That is a long time otherwise."

LOL Lucy call me anything as my mom says call me anything as long as you do not forget to call me to eat.

It was a trade and she said they were rooted cuttings 1-2 yrs old and should bloom in 2-3 years. I love tropicals so I read everything it would need and how to care for them (she sent me 2). It is now going on the 4th summer and nothing. One started to branch this summer but never got a flower.

I bring them in every Sept and kept them in the dining room since they did not drop all the leaves I would give them a sip of water maybe once a month.

I might add she did not know what color they would be because she just brought a bunch of cuttings and rooted them and had them growing for 1 - 2 years but had to many to keep. They are a good 3 - 4' now really thick trunks looking very happy but not a bloom in sight.

They are getting sun from sun up to sundown. Still nothing nota, ziltz, zero bloom. This year I put two glad bulbs in each pot so I would not have two none blooming pots on the patio. So I am almost conveinced my zone is just not hot and sunny long enough to grow these plants to bloom.

I am sorry for hijacking your post whinning about my none blooming Plummie. LOL

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marquest don't be silly. That is the way you get info and answers.
    It still is strange. The cutting from my neighbor that he said is a 1 year cutting and he gave them to me last year, well look for yourself :
    {{gwi:511262}}From Pictures for GW friends

You could say this is my 1st year with Plumeria's :-) All the seedlings were started by me from seed mid Dec.
    Maybe some Plummie pros can tell you if the heat is a factor why yours have not bloomed yet ?

If this one is the yellow one, then the other yellow one he just gave me that was in bloom, I can send it to you. Of course I do not know how it will do with you. But that could be a test if they grow in your zone! Anybody in PA that grows them with success??? Please step up lol

Lucy

• chena
    14 years ago

Looks like you have a load of Plummie blooms on the way.. I have a Maui Candy and Dwarf African White that should bloom soon.. They aren't very big BUT... between the cows and the wind I may have a few cuttings my self...LOLOLOL

Kylie

• marquest
    14 years ago

Awwww thank you. You are sweet maybe I should send you my two cuttings and you get them to bloom for me then send them back. LOL

I told them if they do not start to perform I can show them some snow and ice and it will not be pretty what those two things can do to their stubborn nature. LOL

• byrd4460
    14 years ago

Marcia ~~~~~LOL~~ Now you are sounding like chocolate Brug.

I Threaten All Flowers If They Do Not Perform??????

See All Those Other Plants Across The Tracks.
    That's Where You All Are Going If You Don't
    Perform, And Boy Oh Boy, They Kicks It In High
    Gear, Because They Know UP UP & Away They Go
    Across The Tracks If They Are Not Putting
    On A Show For Me.

Marcia
    Don't Be Afraid To Feed Them At Least Once a Week.
    When You Get Free Time, You Can Feed Them Through
    There Leaves As Well. When Feeding Through The
    Leaves I Always Add a Little Coco Wet To My Spray
    To Help Get The Spray To Stick & Spread On The Leaves
    As Well. They Will Bloom For You Just Show Them a
    Little Mercy.~~ !!!!

Chocolate Brug

• marquest
    14 years ago

LOL...Chocolate... I have tried almost every food everyone has suggested. I have babied, feed, loved and talked nice to them the gloves are off.

I am not above threats and this year I am trying physcological warfare.

I posted this pic I think in the Plummie forum. This year I planted two glad bulbs in each pot. I told them these are from the dollar store now are you going to let cheap dollar blubs bloom before you? I think I got my answer since the glads are blooming in their face and the Plummie have DONE NOTHING!!! LOL

{{gwi:105793}}

• taz56
    14 years ago

Wow Lucy, love the color you are so good
    with your plants! CB is so nice to share
    with you!
    Hugs!
    Susan

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

marquest that is probably the most expensive STALK to keep your Gladiolus from falling over, I have seen so far lol But it looks great. Your Plummie stalk with flowers lol

I did underplant some Plumeria's Not sure if that is good or not?

Chocolate Brug like I said....if you get ready to go to the RR tracks...Let me know rofl. And if Kristy starts it too, I will be there even faster rofl.

I do however believe that everyone who shares there treasures with others, gets this satisfying feeling in there heart that they made someones garden so much more special. ONly a gift from the heart can do. No money in the world can buy that feeling!

Thank you everyone for being such a person when you see that it will be appreciated very much. I do hope that all that share or trade, have the least bitter experience one can have here and there. Those are the learning lessons.

Lucy

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh my gosh I stuck my nose deep inside the pedals just so I can smell it...this one smells like roses!!

Chocolate Brug can my nose be right?

I totally love this one A LOT! Every day I smile...because of your generosity!!

Hugs
    Lucy

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Lucy, that is one of the most beautiful plumeria, I have ever seen. I have only the solid colored plumeria, that I ordered from Hawaii, and they all rooted, so if you ever want to trade for a solid plumeria let me know. I bought 6 plants about 4 inches tall from a man in Houston on ebay, he said they were rare, but did not know what colors. They are about 1 ft tall right now, I love suprises. I hope I am pleasantly suprised when they finally bloom. Barbra,

• byrd4460
    14 years ago

Lucy You Got It~~~~~~ !!!!!!!
    It Smell Like a Old Fashioned
    Garden Rose. Lucy If You Ever
    Get Bold Enough To Snip You
    Off a Petal And Place In Your
    Family Room You Will Be Amaze
    At How The Scent Will Drift
    Through Out The Room. It's
    Strong.
    I Am So Glad That You Are

Happy With Your Plummie
    Now I Am Waiting On Your
    Morange"93 To Bloom.

Chocolate Brug

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Barbra when you see the beauty of ONE Plumeria, it is SO easy to get carried away. Wanting to get a LOT more beauties into your garden. Will you believe it that I went BROWSING at places to buy Plumeria's lol

Then I called my mind to attention. After all, There IS Morange"93 I am eager to see. I could google it....but I want it to be a surprise when it will bloom.

Of course Aztec Gold from Bob will be another unknown. so far it is only growing leaves. But very nicely!!

Of course the baby cutting from Kristy might take a while. But it might be the red one. I forgot :-( Cause for the longest time I thought the cutting was not going to root. Now...boy I love the way Plumeria's take off when they are ready to grow!

So I wait. and wait....and one day I do hope I can share these beauties that were shared with me.

Chocolate Brug you have it right...if I EVER be BOLD enough. lol I would love to have that fragrance in the house. WOW. But as long as Precious is into EVERYTHING and ate the Zinnia's too...I better enjoy the blooms outside.

I could not believe that this kitty even eats the wax candles! man she is a hand full lol

Lucy

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Lucy, I think we are very lucky to live in Texas, it is so easy to root plumeria here. I was told to put the cutting in a pot of miracle grow, water once a week, and leave the pot on the hot sidewalk, I have had 100% success. I think the hot sidewalk is the secret. Barbra,

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Lucy did you ever find out if the plant that Chocolate Brug took the cutting from had a color break? BTW a color break is the darker colored splotches on the petals. They aren't uniform in color like a stripe and are caused by a virus. I love plumies with a color break. One of the better known color break varieties is Princess Victoria.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumeria Princess Victoria

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow Karyn that Princess Victoria is beautiful!No I have not ask.

Chocolate Brug maybe you read this and can answer the question. I have to read up to the color break. Is that bad when it is caused by a virus?

Barbra I was told to stick it in a mixture of vermiculite and I use MG. LIke 2:1 parts. Stick it in...rooting hormone not really necessary. Wate it until it comes out on the bottom and not to water again until you see a sign of leave growth. Of course put in on concrete / driveway in the sun. Worked for all the ones I have been rooting. YES that is ONE TIME I LOVE Texas lol

Lucy

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just did a little google. found a posting from 06 here on GW. Got to read up more on it. But somehow I do not think that this one has it. I know I am new to plumeria's. But the little red dots on this one...look uniformly even spread out. On each pedal...after pedal. So...waiting for CB to answer I guess do more re search.

Karyn I loved the purposely exposing plants to the virus to get that effect. Now I have some Idea why the 4 o clocks look the way they do?

Lucy

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is perlite..have no idea why I came up with vermiculite lol

Maybe it is bast the bedtime or I am excited that DH is leaving early to go on vacation lol

Lucy

• byrd4460
    14 years ago

Lucy

To The Best Of My Knowledge
    I Cannot Recall Seeing a Color
    Break In This Variety. But With
    The Attributes I Am Seeing In
    This Plummie It Is a Beautiful Flower.
    My Favorite Has Always Been
    The Ones With The Virus Which Is Showing
    Up In Your Plummie Picture. You Never Knows
    What You Are Going To Get From Petal To Petal.
    !!!!!!That Is a Beautiful Flower.!!!!!!!

Chocolate Brug

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ahh thanks Chocolate Brug.

Mystery solved :-)

Boy this brings up questions after questions.

If yours did not have it...does the virus come to life like with brugs...sometimes through shipping...shock? Do I have this virus in my yard in the 4 o'clocks for example. Cause I am guessing that that is how they come up with those colorations in the mixed colored ones.

The more I learn...the more scared I get :-( Sometimes not knowing is a blessing for me lol

Lucy

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I'm not sure how the virus is transmitted or what causes it to turn on. It's not dangerous to the plumeria but I've heard that some people keep their color break plumies away from their uninfected plants. I also don't know if the virus that causes the color break or variegation in one plant can cause the same thing in a different variety. Like the virus that causes variegation in citrus leaves causing a color break in a plumeria. I don't know enough about it.

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Thats beautiful Lucy. Morgan wants to know if you will have Maddie tomorrow. She wants to visit with her if you do. I found that letting my plumeria go dormant they bloom better and faster than they did when I kept them growing in the house before. The pink one is taking forever to bloom this year but all the others are blooming.

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No Maddy. Dad has Maddy for a week.

So were are those blooming Plumeria pictures? :-))

Lucy