SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilenav1

Canadian Weather

marilenav1
18 years ago

Since the weather and gardening go hand in hand, I thought IÂd post here to let those who arenÂt aware of the recent Environment Canada study that concludes that Alberta has the best weather and Quebec has the worst. Now thatÂs a claim to fame! Have a look at the article in the Montreal Gazette and especially the readers comments  itÂs a hoot!

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian Weather Link

Comments (39)

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    18 years ago

This same article also states that Vancouver Island has the mildest climate. So...that wasn't a criteria for best weather? I dunno, I'd rather have rain and 10C rather than -20C and sun any day. But that's me.

Cheers, Barrie (Vancouver Island)

• glen3a
    18 years ago

That's okay Mary, though Nunavut has the worst winters in Canada, we have the worst winters of all the ten provinces.

I was surprised, however, that Manitoba ranks just below Ontario for most humid summer. Apparently humid summers are a negative in determining the most comfortable place to live. We are drier in winter though.

Apparently they analyzed more than just temperatures in determining the most comfortable place to live. They go by low humidity, low wind, lack of rain, not a huge snowcover, etc and that's why Alberta won.

Barrie, I think the thing is, while Vancouver island probably does have the mildest weather and could be considered the most comfortable place in Canada, the study was to find the most comfortable PROVINCE in Canada. So, they took statistics from all over BC to determine where the province as a whole ranked.

I don't know how "fair" that is since some provinces are so vast in size and cover lots of climatic zones while others are tiny and are basically the same climate across the entire province.

Glen

• Related Discussions

Roses that work for Canadian weather

Q

Comments (3)
    In zone 5, I'm sure you can grow all the roses in the Buck series. As well, look for own-root roses, own-root roses are more hardier than grafted roses in my zone 2 experience. Sharon
    ...See More

Pot lights, switches, pendants oh my! Please help me decide.

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks a2gemini for your help. I would like to find a pendant for over the sink, but maybe just that one for the peninsula area. As per the island, we are considering a Modere-aire hood which will have lights (halogen I think). The hood look we are considering is posted below. However, the colour will likely be white and trim will be brushed steel (not the copper in the picture). Given this hood is large, perhaps we should do two pendants over the island? What do you and others think about the switch for the lights in the dining room? In other words when we leave the kitchen and go to the dining room, do you think we could have a switch on the back of the peninsula? How far away should the pots lights be from the wall? The i-joist are quite wide open with no plumbing above so we should not be too limited. Thanks! BTW our ceilings are only 8 feet, so the not at all like the image posted!! [Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by New York Architects & Designers Minion Gutierrez Carol
    ...See More

Identify this... plant.

Q

Comments (4)
    I agree about the tarragon... but what do you think about this link... could this be a mock strawberry? http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blogspot.ca/2013/11/indian-strawberry-mock-strawberry-herbs.html
    ...See More

Identify this.... plant

Q

Comments (5)
    The habit is not right for Duchesnia indica. D indica is a prostrate plant which does not produce tall flowering stems. I have it growing in my garden here. The OP's plant is a Potentilla.
    ...See More
  • den_vic
    18 years ago

The study probably factors in all areas of a province and really fails to indicate the best regional climates. The Weather Network indicated that NS was the warmest province in Canada. But compared to Vancouver Island, it is totally not.

I used to live in Ontario and most of the folks there thought that the BC coast was all rain year round. The summers in Victoria are sunnier than anywhere in Ontario. There's sun in winter also. There are as much winter clouds in the Maritimes. S. Ontario is usually grey when it's mild in winter. Prunus starts flowering in Feb over here in Victoria. They need a bit of sun. I look at the news in winter and see Toronto with a flash freeze or cold alert (minus 20C) while people here wonder if it may rain on their afternoon jog. Even if it poured all winter long, I'd rather spend winter in a mild, green city than a minus 30C morning under the sun in Alberta. My garden would be so nuked.

The flora on the BC coast is amazing. The gardening is more interesting than s. Ontario's. I can garden in winter as I'll be growing a winter veggie garden under the palm trees in my garden. I don't want to move away from Vancouver Island. The climate is so comfortable. It's so green in winter. Spring is so early while winters out east are long and painful. Gardening in many parts of the country is about to draw to an end. It's far from over on the west coast. I just can't go back east of the Rockies as winter would be torture. People here get spoiled... Palm trees in Nanaimo, Ficus harvest on Satlspring Island and Kiwi harvest in Victoria. I'm still amazed.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:539040}}

• den_vic
    18 years ago

When I lived in Ontario, many considered S. Ontario to have Canada's banana belt. After seeing hardy Musa specimens produce fruit after overwintering canes on this coast, then it became obvious that Canada's "banana belt" is located in BC.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:536868}}

• sharon_sd
    18 years ago

A friend from England who has visited often in all seasons in many parts of Canada, said that she thinks there is only one kind of weather in Canada "Unusual for this time of year."

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    18 years ago

Sharon,

LOL!! Too cute, but so right! At times we never know what to expect, eh?

Barrie and DV,

I truly admire your flaunting of the weather on the west coast and the gigantic plants you grow, but there is something to be said about our beautiful Canadian winters east of the Rockies.

I do enjoy looking out my backyard and seeing the forest after a snowfall. Sometimes it looks like powdered sugar was sprinkled on the trees, other times the boughs on the evergreens and bare branches of the maples are weighed down with inches of snow, and yet other times the ice fairy has crystalized everything. It is a season which is forever changing and a wondrous garden in itself.

Living on a dead-end road in Nova Scotia, after a snowfall, we can sleigh, ski-doo, ski, toboggan , have snowball fights, and then go into our woodstove heated homes and enjoy a nice cup of cocos. Can't really do that after a rainfall... Even snowstorms are looked forward too. It's an opportunity to go and help your neighbour and catch-up on neighborhood news.

My DH just read your posts, and said, "Can't be very challenging to garden there (meaning the west coast). There certainly is something to be said about gardening where 40cm to 90cm of snow falls in one day and the ground freezes like a rock for days on end, and yet when spring arrives, the plants break ground."

To each his own.

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    18 years ago

A diverse counrty and along with that goes many gardening challenges.
    "Can't be very challenging to garden there (meaning the west coast).
    Well no matter where you live, you're always willing to challenge. I push the limits here from time to time trying plants that are borderline for us. I know people in the sub and semi tropic regions trying tropicals or trying plants that need winter chill to perform their best.
    So no matter where you garden, there's always a challenge.

Cheers, Barrie.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    18 years ago

You are right, Barrie. There are challenges no matter where we are.

I guess my comments were more or less directed at some of the statements DV made.
    "... winters out east are so long and painful. Gardening in many parts of the country is about to draw to an end." I guess it's a matter of perception and appreciation. Gardening is far from over to MANY of us, and for some of us, it is a year round activity. No, we may not be out checking our banana trees, but we are planning next year's new gardens, rock walls, plant acquisitions, etc.
    I trade and buy seeds throughout the winter, I compost (my piles are kept active at 50C even in -27C with wind chills of -40C), I winter sow, and I read, read, read. Somedays you'll find me fixing garden ornaments, and another day I'll be making bird houses.
    My Phlox are now blooming, as are most of the flowers in the gardens. The Japanese Anemone is setting buds, and I can hardly wait to see it bloom. Our Septembers are warm, and so is October. And when the leaves on the trees start to turn gold, orange, and red... Oh, there is something to be said for the beauty of it all!!

Nicole (who lives in the warmest province in Canada according to EC...)

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    18 years ago

I've only seen the pictures of the fabulous Fall color. I here parts of Quebec and Vermont are primo for Fall tree color. We get some Autumn color on the southern parts of Vancouver Island but it's minimal. Even some of the decidious trees (Eg: Alder) don't change color, the green leaves just drop. One of the nicest local trees might be the Oregon / Big Leaf Maple. It turns yellow in the late September. Garry Oak has a burnt red leaf color.
    And once the season changes, all of us seek gardening in some way or another, projects, books, seeds etc. I even garden in the winter rain!

Cheers & happy gardening, where ever you may be.
    Barrie (Vancouver Island)

• bonniepunch
    18 years ago

I hate, hate, hate winter.

I hated it growing up in Nova Scotia - it rarely went below -20, but it was so damp that it would make my bones ache. And half the time when you started with a nice pretty snowfall, it'd turn to rain and you'd have twelve inches of slushy crap to wade through. The rest of the time you'd get walloped by some massive snowstorm that'd take you forever to dig out of (but at least they closed the school!). I lived on a steep hill that rarely got plowed so walking and driving was a pain - going uphill was just as risky as going downhill!

I hate it living in Quebec - it gets so cold out sometimes that I can't go outside. It's so dry that I go through a dozen chapsticks and half a dozen bottles of lotion! I have to wear two pairs of socks and heavy slippers, and I've been laughed at many times while waddling around the appartment with three bulky sweaters on and a hot cup of tea in each hand.

There is no place in Canada that I would like to live in the winter - if it goes below +15C I start complaining that I'm cold. I'm afraid I'm hopeless!

Summers I love - it doesn't matter if it's sunny all the time or if it rains two days out of three, I'll be happy anywhere, just as long as it's *warm*!

BP

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Have any of you watch Pioneer Quest on TV, its a documentary of two modern couples, who spent a year authentically experiencing a Manitoba pioneer homesteader's way of life with all the harsh prairie elements included. This series will really make you appreciate how really lucky we all are living anywhere in Canada in our nice warm homes, playing with our PCÂs enjoying each others company ;)

Alberta having the BEST weather. LOL is all I can say ;)

Sharon

• onewheeler
    18 years ago

Well if you don't like the weather in the Maritimes wait five minutes it will change! LOL

I have lived in Ontario, thought the summers were too hot for me, been out west in northern Alberta in Aug when it snowed, driven through a Quebec blizzard at Easter, so I guess I will stay here in northern Nova Scotia, at least most of the time I know what to expect, snow in the winter, water, rain and slush in the spring, sun and rain in the summer and a beautiful fall season ahead to get lots of gardening done and be glad of the rest for winter to get some garden plans done for next year.

Canada is a beautiful country no matter where you are, guess it is just a matter of being there during the right season.

Valerie

• Mystery_Gardener
    18 years ago

The weather report was based on statistics. These stats can not accurately describe the merging and blending of elements that would truly represent the weather as one would experience it.

Vancouver Island is the destination of thousands of retired Canadians each year. The reason that 99% of them come here is the weather. I personally have lived in several different parts of Canada and there is no comparison.

I wish I could say something bad about the weather to discourage others from moving here ;-)

But I would be lying ;-)

Gratefully living in lotus land,
    MG

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    18 years ago

MG (and all),

As the "Baby Boomer" generation begin there retirement years, they seek regions in which to do so. Operating a small home based hobby nursery, I've seen many people from all over N. America. Alberta (nicest weather according to the survey) has it's citizens moving here (Vancouver Island) as fast as we can fill a ferry.
    As well, I've met people from Florida, North Carolina, California, Russia, England etc all exchanging there currency for Canadain dollars and buying retiremnt propery here. Too late for us to revert to becoming a seperate colony again and close our borders. The cat's out of the bag. LOL.

Cheers, Barrie (Vancouver Island)

• shapiro
    18 years ago

Ah - one topic all Canadians are willing to discuss: weather! We are just outside Ottawa, where so-called winter "cold snaps" can mean a week or more with the "high" at minus 25 - summer means weeks at 30 plus - very humid - much more than the Caribbean. Who was the wise guy who called this the "temperate" zone? It's anything but. In favour of this 2005 summer, I can say we have never had such luscious canteloupes, amazing tomatoes, eggplant and peppers of all types.

• den_vic
    18 years ago

We have few colours out of sync in Victoria. Places like the Maritimes have awesome fall colours. Parts of s. Ontario also. Having lived in n. Ontario and Quebec, seasons feel like they fly by and the fall colours can be very stunning but in short windows.

I agree that we all have our challenges. But many gardeners fail to take advantage of their mild climate here. Here's a hardy Eucalyptus (photo taken in Feb 2005) keeping an interesting blue tinge all year. That's just an example of the great potential of gardening on the west coast. Having moved here from elsewhere in Canada allows me to appreciate this place.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:539041}}

• den_vic
    18 years ago

Here's another winter photo of Eucalyptus in another garden in Victoria. This one puts on fast growth.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:534785}}

• msjean
    18 years ago

Well...I love living in Nova Scotia...and as silly as it may seem...I love the changing seasons and I even enjoy the few months of cold we get. It gives everyone a chance to slow down and hibernate...like the bears do...and then there is that thing we are so well known for..Maritime hospitality :))

Vancouver is lovely ... as is Victoria (my sister lives there)...but I would be afraid of the earthquake that is predicted for the area...and I don't like all the bears.

It's a good thing that not everyone wants to live in BC...the country would tip over LOL

• onewheeler
    18 years ago

Msjean I am with you, I love it here in Nova Scotia. When I go away on vacation the only place I ever want to go is around my own province.

I have been across the country twice by car, right out to Jasper, we have a wonderfully beautiful country.

You can take the girl out of Nova Scotia, but you can't take Nova Scotia out of the girl.

I find our fall season to be getting better and better every year, it is when I enjoy most of my gardening. I wish the garden centers would catch on and have more stock available.

Valerie

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    18 years ago

Well, Valerie. It's a good thing you didn't get any futher than Jasper. If you'd have gotten to the Pacific, you might still be here...LOL!
    There are some great maritimers out this way, and many feel right at home with the smell of salt air never far away.

Cheers, & happy gardening, Barrie (Vancouver Island)

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Well as they say, BC stands for "Bring Cash" ;)

• den_vic
    18 years ago

People really want to move here. I guess that Vancouver Island is no longer a secret. People are paying for every square feet of gardening space. I hear about that earthquake issue but it can happen tomorrow or in hundreds of years. Weather out east has caused more damage than our quakes. One lady moved from s. Ontario to get away from twisters. A few summer storms had scared her. Halifax had sustained lots of hurricane damage. Point PleasanT Park really got hit hard. So we all have our thing. The worst climate I've experienced in Canada was eastern Quebec. Many blizzards and cold & windy spells that made winter a brutal period of the year. Spring struggled to start and it would snow up to mid May. I could have stayed out east but after seeing Vancouver Island it was an easy choice. Real estate prices were better before the cat jumped right out of the bag.

Here's an all season Agave parryi in a Victoria garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:539042}}

• den_vic
    18 years ago

Victoria can get really dry summers but here's a surprise storm this August that has brought much needed rain. Monsoon conditions with small hail pounded my garden reminding me of s. Ontario with its huge thunderstorms. Lightning is rare on Vancouver Island. Some say that summers will offer more droughts to come while some weathermen say that heating of the ocean will give more yearly precipitation (even in summer).

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:539045}}

• marilenav1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Den Vic,

I agree with you that the weather is pretty rough in Eastern Quebec. Admittedly, I have not spent much time traveling in Eastern or Northern Quebec during winter although I did spend some time in Chicoutimi in late winter. Our weather in Montreal is pretty average (compared to most of Canada). We normally get the first hit of light frost the second week of October and a really hard frost by mid November. We get enormous quantities of snow and to me the winters here are torture  too long and too snowy. The worst part of winter seems to be the short days and we are not fortunate like some areas of the prairies that have extended periods of sun even in winter. Shortly after New Year, I begin to tire of the snow and the cold and look forward to spring. In the last few years, I find that there is less snow (perhaps wishful thinking on my part).

Although, I like all types of plants, I enjoy tropicals more than others. They bloom for extended periods of time and in a wide range of color, flower and leaf shapes. My Hedychiums are about 9 feet tall as are my Musas. I have a stunning Cyathea australis (tree fern) that is about 12 feet tall with a 20" trunk that is about 10 years old. Naturally, we donÂt leave them outdoors but we are fortunate to have greenhouses where we can overwinter these tender plants. I prefer plants that originate in South Africa and Australia and have an extensive collection of Kangaroo Paws, Acacia, Callistemon, and Agapanthus. My own garden looks much like yours! Unfortunately, I am a terrible photographer and although I own a digital camera, IÂm just learning how to use it but hope to post pictures in the future.

I agree that Victoria has the best Canadian weather and the range of species that can be grown outdoors far outweigh any other Canadian town or city. That being said, Canada is not renowned for its good weather and given the chance, IÂm off to Hawaii! Now thatÂs paradise.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    18 years ago

BC = Bring Cash... LOL!! I shouldn't be laughing so hard as you 'westcoasters' probably have a few sayings for us out east as well. All in good humour!

You're right Jean, I wouldn't want to be gardening when Christmas rolls around. Too much to do. And then after the holidays comes breathing time.
    And Valerie, I have to agree with you. From the Annapolis Valley to the Cape Breton Highlands there is something to behold at every turn and in every season.

I do have a brother and a sister who have been living in Victoria since the '70s. They love it there, but have often said that their hearts belong in the land of the Bluenose. A couple of years ago, they returned to NS in the deep of winter, and right in the middle of being hit by a nor'easter, they ventured outside to the cliffs of St Mary's Bay 'just to feel that wind and snow whipping in our faces... like when we were young!'
    Growing up in this province stays with you in every way!

• Mystery_Gardener
    18 years ago

Crazy Gardener, you will definitely need a big wad of cash if you hope to purchase land here;-) Otherwise, not much difference in prices between here and Alberta. Many things such as food and gardening items are actually cheaper. It is only in the past 10 years or so the land prices started to sky rocket. Now there seems no end in site. We could not afford to purchase our current location if we bought today. The sad thing is many people are being forced out as they can not afford the increased taxes. This oftens happens in large cities but for the first time is happening in small towns:-(

I experienced more earthquake tremours as a kid in Sask (one which rolled my wheeled bed back and forth across the floor) than I have felt here. Hopefully the earthquake rumour is keeping many people away!;-) I will have to start 'warning' every tourist about the imminent 'big one', that may just work;-)

Den_Vic and Las_Palmas_Norte have convinced us we need some exotic foliage in our yard. We will be planting a few exotics this fall to see how it goes.

Here is to a happy gardening experience where ever you live in Canada.

{{gwi:539055}}
    Albetzia bloom

Cheers,
    MG

• sharon_sd
    18 years ago

It isn't just in the last 10 years that Bc prices have gone up. We have been gone for 30 years. The house we sold went up 50% in the 2 years we owned it and doubled in the next 5 years.

However, in the 24 years we have owned our farm in Ontario it has increased to 8 times the price we paid. So it isn't that cheap here either.

• den_vic
    18 years ago

This front garden is low which makes it easy to garden. I can't blame these guys for taking most of the lawn space to garden. One can't fit enough plants out here. There are rather late Mimosa blooms to the left. These trees get to a fair size as you probably know so that garden will have lots of shade. I like the banana by the road it gets good sun there. As I looked at this garden, I could see that both husband and wife most likely work together on this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:539048}}

• den_vic
    18 years ago

To some folks, standing under a Puzzle tree is almost like standing under a pinnate palm. Some people plant them really close to homes which is not a good idea. I like to see them by heritage houses. Another interesting tree due to the mild winters. No need to shovel rain. I no longer plug my vehicle's block heater. Fall or spring clothing for work on winter mornings. Just other reasons why people enjoy it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:539050}}

• onewheeler
    18 years ago

Here's one more reason for staying in NS. My house is on 3 and one third acres facing the ocean with the woods behind me, it only cost $30,000 back in the 70's, worth more than that now, but still not over the hundred thou mark, that keeps me here too!

Someday I would love to go to the Pacific coast and dip my toe in that ocean. I am thinking seriously of going to Calgary again next summer and then perhaps to Whitehorse and tour along the Pacific coast if I can save my pennies. I have a niece in Whitehorse who swears it is the most beautiful place in our country.

Valerie

• den_vic
    18 years ago

Here's a photo of a Double pink oleander that adds colour to my foliage garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:539052}}

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    18 years ago

Here's the zone map for SW British Columbia according to Envriromnent Canada. Here you don't have to travel great distances to encounter different winter minimums.

Cheers, Barrie.
    {{gwi:539056}}

• franktank232
    18 years ago

Heads up...the weather is about to go down hill in the great white north :-0... I was just peeking @ the weather maps out to 7days, and a nice chunk of COLD air is headed south.

Bundle up...

British Columbia sounds/looks beautiful...

• msjean
    18 years ago

I think to live anywhere in Canada is a priviledge and I'm very proud to be a Canadian.

The old saying.."home is where the heart is " applies to this thread ..and my heart belongs to Nova Scotia. ..and always will :))

I would never want to live anywhere else..so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones ...to be right where I want to be.

I also think I live in the best country in the world !!!

Here's a tune for Bluenosers .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Farewell to Nova Scotia

• marilenav1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ms Jean,

You are right - we are all so fortunate to live in such a wonderful, diverse and beautiful country.

• den_vic
    18 years ago

Thanks for the garden tour. I like the Arbutus trees popping up. It's nice to see what other exotic plant growers are doing in the garden. Someone gave me a palm of at least $150 in value today for sharing of info. If it had been a Windmill palm I'd plant it now. But it's a type of C. humilis so I'll wait until next spring to plant it. It's the second time this year that BC gardeners hand me a palm for the garden. They see that I'm trying to form a dense palm planting. My big Cordys are there as fillers until the younger palms rise to take over.

Here's a garden pic from the lower mainland. This bluish Euc contrasts with the green foliage. To the right is giant reed. I planted a variegated form.

Cheers

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:539054}}

• death2spam
    18 years ago

I am a transplant from Victoria B.C. living in the gorgeous Annapolis valley in Nova Scotia. This is gardening heaven here! All our friends and relatives who have never visited here always comment on our foggy and cool weather...they think all of Nova Scotia shares the same weather as Halifax! Ya like Tofino and Saanich are the same LOL! I have lived all over this country, Ottawa, Calgary, Mainland B.C., New Brunswick et al. It was the Annapolis vally than won my heart! Oh ya...and price of waterfront real estate is still reasonable!

• Cybersunday
    18 years ago

I live in Ottawa and love experimenting with new plants, in anticipation of a mild winter always push the envelope. Spring here usualy means an inventory what has survived and what needs replacement. I look at it this way, if everything would survive, how would nurseries stay in business. Therefore I cheerfully hunt for new stock every year. Albeit I spend way too much every year, but gambling in the garden is still a lot cheaper than in the cassino

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    18 years ago

I'd rather have a zone 9b or 10 region (San Fransisco winters). Living in our zone 8 is "close but no cigar". I love this area but a touch milder would suit me fine. I guess some are never quite satisfied as gardeners. I rarely complain, and I'm not here either...just a little gardning wish.

Cheers, Barrie.(Vancouver Island)