SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spiritwild

looking for advice, help, guidance with butterfly habitat

spiritwild
15 years ago

Hello,

I've been working the last year on a butterfly habitat in a

local woodland area and was hoping to find some good tips and advice from others who have done this sort of thing before.

Sorry, this might be a bit detailed....

The woodland area was struck by a tornado in 2005 and the area

was stripped of all of it's climax trees. It is now going through the natural succession that occurs in this type of situation, which has created a wonderful active butterfly habitat. Due to the way the tornado just dropped down and lifted, it has created a full sun area with no wind.

I've been working over the last year growing certain wild

flowers at my home to gather seeds for next spring.

I have certain plants that seem to do well in this type of setting, Tithonia, zinnea, blue flax, and others.

I spent most of my energy on a lot of trial and error planting, including milkweed and other plants that seem to do well in dry conditions.

The area is located in southern indiana, zip code 47715.

I'm not sure of the zone here without looking.

Just looking for some advice from folks who have done this type of extended planting. Right now the primary butterfly is the swallowtails. They are abundant. I hope to bring the monarch here in the near future but right now I'm just focused on the nectar and host plants.

Here are some photos of butterflies that call it home

photo album

You can also view some photos of the area here also.

photo album

Some of the more barron areas have now grown up a bit with

wildflowers and shrub. It was quite devastating after the storm. It's something I hope to continue to build and continue working with, it will be 20 -30 years before the

climax trees start to take over, so I have a lot of time

to create a wonderful recreation / educational area.

I also hope someday to dedicate the area to the memory of the 20+ people who died less than half a mile from the same tornado. They never had a chance for the tornado struck the trailer park at around 2am when everyone was asleep.

Along with being set in tradgedy, it is sort of a spiritual rebirth in the memory of those lost.

Thanks to anyone who can throw some good advice my way.

You can contact me here or contact me thru my site

Southern Indiana Trails

Thanks again

Comments (12)

Sponsored