SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

An Overdue Salute to.....Dr. Al...aka 'Tapla'

My plants would be languishing, at best, at the worst, dying a slow, rotting, death, if it were not for you and all the well thought-out science behind the recommendations that you have posted, on many differing forums, over all the years.

You shine a light on ignorance, and have educated us when it comes to the botanical needs of the plant kingdom. After reading all of your postings, I for one, have learned more in 5 years, and what I thought I learned over the last 40 years, can now go into the garbage. Well reasoned science trumps anecdotal information always...without exception.

Thanks for the endless explanations regarding the science behind growing mediums...for explaining what a "Perched Water Table" is, and how to avoid it...for your fertilizer recommendations....and I could go on, and on.

You have taken many hits in the past from members of these forums, but you defend your scientific positions without wavering. You, when you disagree with the positions of someone else, provide reasoned explanations, and let us make up our own minds. You're never overly "preachy".

Thank-you for your contributions to these forums. You have helped us all become better plant-growers.

Frank/Bronx, NYC

Comments (5)

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Well said, Frank. Adding my thanks to Al too!

Penny

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Indeed, GardenWeb's very own Al-chemist! ;-)

And a happy birthday to Al, too!

Josh

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

Lol - I just stumbled on this post while doing some research. While I don't want it to seem like I'm bumping the post - I just had to acknowledge the kind words and the compliment. Thank you guys so very much. I hope you can tell I really enjoy helping anyone with an open mind and an enthusiasm for learning.

Take good care, and thanks again!

Al

• sherryinmaine
    11 years ago

yes, Al I've benefited and enjoyed reading your posts as well. . .

• deadheadri
    11 years ago

Good place to throw in my 2..
    Al is always a good read and very helpful to the new and uninformed among us, myself included.
    I see things very differently now..