SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariateresa_gw

Help - echeveria dying

mariateresa
17 years ago

Here's the story:

I bought an echeveria agavoides about 7 months ago. Winter was coming and I decided not to repot it despite the fact that the substract was quite bad.

She (I like to think of it as a 'she', motherlike thing bacause she has chicks) did well during the winter - 'gave birth' and flowered.

In March the weather was good, temperatures around 80ºF , and I decided to finally get rid of that dreadful dirt. Scratching it off, impossible. So I showered the roots until it all came out. I put it outside on my balcony to dry for a couple of days, then repotted again and didn't water for about a week. I did things right, didn't I?

Well, I guess this mum didn't take it lightly to have her intimacy exposed to the world. Right now, the leaves are getting skinny and feeling soft and the bright green colour is fading away. My guess is the root system is gone and she is pumping water from the leaves.

I suppose that if I do nothing and the mother dies, the offsets will die along with her. So I am about to cut them off (there are 9 of them).

Questions, questions,questions...

- Should I cut the small rosettes only or with a bit of stem too?

- What's the best way to have them grow roots?

- Is there anything I can do to try and save the mother?

Ideas are welcome.Thank you in advance.

Comments (4)