SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

Newbie (sorta) with questions: HELP me save my plant!

Hi there, I am a newbie (sorta) to succulents, I say sorta because I HAVE been growing them, but I have been doing it wrong, and I have a few questions.

First I HAVE been reading here, but just started today, and need a few things clarified.

I have a jade plant, a poor sad version of a jade plant. My DH bought it for me for mothers day when I was expecting my oldest child, 34 years ago now! But I currently have it potted in plain ol potting soil. And it's very VERY top heavy, with leaves on one side only, from facing the window and not getting turned. I can't turn it cuz it would fall over, right now the only thing keeping it upright is the window it's leaning on. The main stem on this plant is at least 3" in diameter.

My question is "How can I revive this plant?" I am afraid to prune it, but I know it must be done. It also should be repotted as it was last repotted at least 5 years ago.

If I prune this plant will it branch out? Is there a best way to do this?

If I repot this, should I do it at the same time I prune it? OR would this be to much of a shock? And what type of soil should I be using.

Can I start new plants from my cuttings? Yes I have some new ones growing in the pot already, but hate to waste a good cutting!

On watering, I know it does best when I am stingy on the water, I just need to convince my DH that more water is NOT better! Anything else I should know?

I have more questions on other succulents I have IE: a christmas cactus, but I will ask that later, after I have my jade plant on the right track.

Thank you!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus