SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ramblin_red_rose

Has Broad Leaf Weed Killer Ruined My Fire Bushes

ramblin_red_rose
13 years ago

I have (had) a beautiful fire bush hedge. Recently, my neighbours had their lawn sprayed by a professional with an "organic" Par III #27884 weed killer for broad leaf weeds. A week before this my husband fertilized with 6 inch fertilizer spikes purchased at a local gardening centre for bushes. He only used two per bush (one on each side.)

These fertilizer sticks were in for about a week, however, within 48 hours after the neighbours had their lawn sprayed the leaves on the fire bushes stared to wilt and go brown on the neighbourÂs side of the fire bushes.

Of course, being unknowledgeable about what could have possibly gone wrong the gentleman at the local gardening center indicated that leaf dropping so suddenly indicated that it could have been "too much of a good thing" meaning we over fertilized. This was perplexing because we had fertilized bushes before with these spikes with no problems.

My husband removed the fertilizer spikes and we have been watering the bushes to flush the any remaining fertilizer out of the ground and to try and help some of the bushes recover (it looks grim). However, I have the nagging suspicion that it was the spraying for the broad leaf weeds that has caused this problem.

What is the possibility that the weed killer has killed my beautiful hedge?

Rose

Comments (13)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor