SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladobe

Finally, a little activity around here.

ladobe
13 years ago

Was out on my patio enjoying the wonderful 112 heat (not) early this afternoon, and the Senna down in the dry lake bed in front of my place was visited by only the second Pieridea that IÂve seen this entire year so far. Pretty sure it was a Eurema boisduvaliana, and a female. It made several typical stop and go landings at various places on the two plants, so most likely was laying eggs.

We have lots of Senna artemisioides v. filifolia plants around the complex, but like mine they are all down in the rocky xeriscape lakes and river beds. So there is not much chance that I can get to them on my walker to look for eggs with the rocks and steep slopes. Too bad since I know the exact places she visited, so if she did lay eggs they wouldnÂt be too hard to find.

It was nice to finally see a lep of any kind actually trying to go about its routine of perpetuating the species this year as it has been very slim pickings around here. This is a species we donÂt see here often or in any great numbers as this area is about the northern limit that they stray to. This is the first time IÂve seen one laying eggs here (if in fact she did). WeÂve always thought it was possible for them to run a generation here as there is so much Senna and Cassia in the local xeriscapes. But we have just never found any ovum or larvae to prove it. We have proven many times that Eurema nicippe and E. mexicana run a generation here and in SW Utah some years, but they come in far greater numbers too.

IÂve reared E. boisduvaliana a few times from livestock I wild collected in SE Arizona mostly. I have made several trips down there, mostly for the Coliadinae, Nymphalidae and Coleoptera that are resident there or stray in from Mexico and Central America. And of course for the hummingbirds. Everybody should do Madera and Ramsey CanyonÂs once in their lifetime  for the butterflies and moths, the beetles and for the birds that not seen elsewhere in the US.

Anyway, these are the two Green Feathery SennaÂs that she was visiting.

Larry

{{gwi:512853}}

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting