SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandy808

Question About Die Back Disease

sandy808
15 years ago

About 3 years ago I purchased a large Rutledge Minix (may not be spelled correctly), which is a camellia from the 1800's. Up until about 6 weeks ago this camellia had been totally healthy and problem free. It is about 5 feet tall and wide. It never got tea scale or any other ailments, and is a bloom machine. Now for the problem, which may have been caused by me.

It was getting some tea scale and the interior was quite crowded. I felt it was getting too hot to spray an oil based spray, and I do not use toxic chemicals in my yard anymore. So, what I did was carefully pick off the infested leaves and dispose of them. I then removed the inside twiggy stuff to open up a little air circulation. I didn't prune or cut anything else back. I know that probably I should not have even removed any twiggy crowded interior stuff this late in the season, but I also didn't want to battle an insect problem all summer.

I then put some Hollytone and Milorganite around the base of each camellia that I have. Everything is on drip irrigation, so despite the drought we're having, they are receiving water. All are on the north side of my house, so in the winter they are fully shaded, and in the summer they are in some sun. All my camellias are fine with the exception of Rutledge Minix.

All the new growth that Rutledge Minix has put on this year has been drying up, and I can snap the whole twig off. A good share of all the new growth twigs are dried up and dead. Crispy critters. It hasn't gone into the older part of the branch. I can still bend that part. At least the last time I checked, that was the case.

There are some new leaves growing in where I removed the infested ones. However, this camellia looks terrible right now. I am concerned that it has become infected with die back disease, and if that is the case, I will probably remove it.

I called a local camellia nursery, and was told it was not die back, as it would not be all over the whole bush like that. I'm not so sure. They suggested it may be a fertilizer problem, but I don't buy that either, as I water well both before and after, and I have been using Hollytone for years with no problem. There are no other camellias in my yard that have this problem, and they were all fed the same time.

What does this sound like to you?

Sandy

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions