SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandy808

Follow Up Info On Camellia Dieback Problem And Replant Issues

sandy808
15 years ago

Luis, you are a gem for trying to help me. I spoke with Jerry Conrad at Erinon Camellias, and he said that some varieties are suseptable to dieback disease here in Florida. He will only grow and sell those that have high resistance, and I have to say , every camellia I have gotten from him is aboslutely excellent. He has the finest nursery I have ever seen. He didn't know much about Rutledge Minnix down here, but I haven't ever seen one growing in anyone else's garden. That probably says it all. The Rutledge Minnix was not purchased from him.

I didn't take a plant sample to Erinon Camellia nursery, (I didn't want to risk contaminating anyone else's stock), but I did thoroughly explain the situation to Jerry. He said it sounded exactly like dieback disease, since my roots are not spongy and mushy. I have well drained soil, so I was fairly sure I didn't have root rot, and further examination of the roots seem to rule it out. His recommendation was to remove the bush. Since I don't have evidence of root rot, he felt I can safely plant another camellia there. However, I am going to remove some of the soil and replace it with some from a "fresh" area.

Possibly, my slight pruning allowed the disease to enter this bush. It is the only bush that had a problem with it though, with the exception that it spread to the 2 next door neighbor camellias to this one. The camellias farther down the foundation planting are still clean and healthy.

I feel this camellia was coming down with the condition prior to pruning, as it had become infested with tea scale, something that I never have issue with in my yard. It was the only bush to get any. My opinion on all this is that the plant was ill, had not shown symptoms yet, but the insects knew of a weak speciman. Jerry concurred with that. Jerry Conrad has been growing camellias for years, teaches classes, and is highly respected in the camellia world. I trust what he has to say. Needless to say, I came home yesterday with 4 more beautiful camellias, and I just might have to go back for a couple more.

Sandy

Comments (5)

Sponsored
More Discussions