SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcclark_of_gardenweb

Moths that drink tears

I was doing some Googling and came across a website for people who are afraid of moths and butterflies:

http://www.ihatebutterflies.com/

They have a forums section so I was poking around. Someone had posted an article about moths that drink tears. I find this fascinating. There are two pictures. Be sure to enlarge them. The moth is wild looking and so is its proboscis.

Since I started with the IHateButterflies website, story time:

I took a luna moth to my kids' swim lessons on Wednesday because I have a cousin there that wanted to see it. After her grandkids were done with their lessons, I was letting her grandkids hold the moth on their fingers. The moth decided to fly and landed on the lifeguard tower. The lifeguard was standing next to the tower and was terrified of the moth (my cousin had to calm the lifeguard down). I got the luna back and tried to let the grandson hold it again. This time the luna flew across the pool (I was afraid it was going to end up in the pool) and landed on the butt of a woman wearing a swimsuit and holding a small child. I then became aware of how many people were watching all this because lots of laughter erupted. I started walking around the pool, wondering how I was going to start a discussion with this woman about how my moth was on her butt and how I wished to remove it. Well, before I got close, some kids in the pool alerted her to the fact that a moth was on her butt. A small kid tried to get it. The woman twisted her head round, saw the moth and started to panic. I started running and yelling that it would not hurt her. She started swatting at her butt and the moth flew off unharmed. Thankfully, I don't think she ever heard me so I was able to slink back to the other side of the pool without having to converse with her. The story was talk of the pool the next day.

KC

Here is a link that might be useful: Moths drink the tears of sleeping birds

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor