SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
efeuer

More info about milkweed, please

Liz
10 years ago

What do you all do about getting milkweed over a long season? Around here, I noticed that most of the common milkweed is already finished flowering. The incarnata and tuberosa are in full bloom. Is there a way to extend the season? Also, I am not keen about growing common milkweed in my garden, because it is so aggressive. Can the season be pushed earlier without using syriaca?

I ordered some tropical milkweed and planted it about a week and a half ago, and it is doing well now, but of course that was late to put it in. I should get some blooms before Frost, but I will be lucky if I can mature enough seed to harvest. Would that have bloomed earlier than syriaca if I had planted it in May?

Are there other varieties I should consider planting here in New Jersey?

I should mention, the monarchs have been scarce around here. However, I visited a large field of common milkweed at the park today, and I was encouraged to see about half a dozen monarchs. Even if I don't get monarchs, the milkweed is a great nectar plant, as I'm sure you all already know. The place was teeming with Tiger swallowtails and black swallowtails. I then visited another planting full of tuberosa. No monarchs there, but the tiger swallowtails loved it. Plus I saw what I think was a hummingbird clearwing moth. He zipped in and out so quickly I couldn't really get a good look, but it still was great!

Thanks for the help, guys. I know it is a little bit OT, talking about the park, but I have to make the best of my current situation. Next year I hope I will have a better butterfly garden.
Liz

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations