SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

Keep the faith, things are picking up ... w/photos

Mary Leek
10 years ago

... within minutes after I put this timmed Rue branch into the vase and sat it on a shelf above my potting bench, a mama Black Swallowtail showed up and began laying eggs on it! Could hardly believe my eyes. I think the blooms of the potted Stokesia sitting on the deck is attacting the butterflies up to my deck.

I probably need to move this Rue to an enclosed cage before something gets the newly laid Black Swallowtail eggs. I took the little Giant Swallowtail cat that recently hatched on this branch (the reason I saved this trimmed branch in the first place) and put him in a cage with the larger ones I found earlier ... {{gwi:506051}}

... can you see some of the Black Swallowtail eggs up near the top of the Rue? {{gwi:506052}}

Here is one of my biggest nectar draws right now ...

Stokesia 'Peachie's Pick' - July 6, 2013

I have several pots of this plant blooming right now and all the little flying jewels seem to enjoy the nectar. I purchased one small plant from a native plant nursery in 2011. When I repotted it that fall, the roots were wound all around the root ball so I trimmed and used pieces of root to create several new plants. They are all blooming this year and are really putting on a show. {{gwi:506053}}

and finally, here are a couple of photos of the little Spicebush cats living on the in ground spicebush plants ... {{gwi:506054}}

{{gwi:506055}}

Everyone take heart. It was awfully slow here until the past couple of weeks. I think our butterfly season is just delayed this year.

After Sandy's report on seeing a mama Monarch in her garden in NE Oklahoma, I am encouraged to keep a better eye on my milkweed. Maybe there's still a chance some of us will see a Monarch before fall.

Mary

Comments (6)

Sponsored