SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
origami_master

Looking for people interested in trying some seeds

origami_master
13 years ago

Hi everyone. I would like to do a little observational experiment this year, and need your help.

I've been a member here for a few years, and have had the chance to trade seeds and learn from quite a few of the 'older' members here. My garden has been planted from seeds and divisions from members here, all across Canada. Those of you who remember me, I'm doing my undergrad in plant science at the University of Guelph (however this experiment is not school related).

The plant I would like to test is Solanum mammosum, commonly known as the nipplefruit. It is an ornamental nightshade grow for its unique fruits. The reason I'm doing this little experiment, is because I would like more information on it's growth habit (not a lot online) and to see how plausible it is to grow here (ie: is it possible to get ripe fruit, even if it means bringing the plant inside to ripen?). Around the lunar year, Chinese florists will order and sell branches with the fruits attached. $20 a branch (with 4 fruits attached) is the standard retail price (has been for many years now), from what I've seen and heard from some florists. Yes, it is quite a high value cut flower (bouquet accent if you will)! To my knowledge, there is only one grower in Ontario who is experimenting with these, and they were not very successful this year.

I will follow up with a brief outline of what I am trying to do. Should you wish to take part, I will of course, cover the cost of seed and postage.

Comments (16)