SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catgirl18

Update on new Imperial babies

It looks like my recently hatched Imperial Moth babies are eating the white pine!!!! I see lots of frass - hooray, and what looks like tiny pieces of the pine needles falling to the bottom (maybe it's all just frass). Either way things look good!

There is one baby that is much lighter than the others, kinda pale orange. Can't wait to see what color he turns out to look like when bigger.

I separated them into two containers and it's interesting to see how the one group mostly stays on the pine but the other group really wanders. Many of them are on the pine as we'll but a lot of them crawl around the rim of the top, right under the lid and when I open the lid they immediately start crawling out. My family is getting a big kick out of watching me try to herd these teenie tiny little critters back into the container :). Maybe it has something to do with the differences in the two containers?

Thank you so much KC Clark for all of your help and advice.

I do plan on moving them to either an aquarium or maybe a zip top butterfly enclosure so I can fit a bottle with a pine branch in it. When they are this tiny how do you relocate them from one branch to another when you change branches? Or, do you wait until they are a bit bigger to house them this way?

For now I'm just laying a small piece of branch on the bottom of the container. How long can I expect that to stay fresh? It's easy to tell when milkweed is limp and dry, not so much with pine. I would imagine it needs changed way before it would look bad or turn brown. I have plenty, that's not the issue. It's moving them over to the new stuff. I guess I could just put a new piece in then take out the old when most of them move to it.

I'll post again when they're bigger and add some pics. Right now they are so small it's hard to get a clear pic.

Cathy

Comments (2)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm