SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

OMG! What a Summer!

susanlynne48
15 years ago

It is so hot and humid here I can barely stand to get out in the garden. I did get out there this morning and was almost sick by the time I came in at 9:00 a.m.

I've lost a lot of plants due to lack of watering this year. And others have survived that I just "knew" would die. The little Aristolochia (silver-veined ones?)seedlings that Sandy gave me I thought for sure would bite the dust, in those tiny containers and in all this heat, but they just keep on growing! This is a great plant. I lost both my tomentosas (top growth), but am hoping the roots will be okay and they'll come back.

I have milkweed just covered in aphids, but they're just going to have to stay. My "hairy balls" is flowering, so I hope I get seed to plant next year, since it's not hardy here.

I collected about 20 BST cats this morning, and there are eggs everywhere on the fennel. This is definitely their favorite plant here.

Those are the only caterpillars I have found to date (except for the Red Admiral and Manduca sextas I raised). In fact, I released one MS this morning. Such a pretty moth!

No sign of the Gulf Frits yet, but I just know they'll be here eventually.

Does anyone grow datura, and if so, do you deadhead the seed pods? Mine has stopped blooming, and I am hoping if I remove those gigantuan seed pods, that it will start blooming again.

My cherry tree and my button bush are gone, I think. All foliage died back. However, I checked the cambium layer, and they appear to still be alive as far as stems. Maybe they'll come back next year.

The false nettle patch is just overwhelming this year. I have it everywhere. My passiflora ceurulea is just not growing much at all. I wonder if I planted it too late (mid-June). Last year, I planted it early in the season, like late April-early May, and it just took off. Isn't it funny how plants do from one year to the next?

Oddly enough, the black willow in a pot is doing fine and shows no sign of my lack of watering. I watered it today, though. They are supposed to LOVE water.

My blue mistflower is blooming already - way too early - so I'll have to deadhead it and hope for more blooms until fall.

I have Senna bicapsularis seedlings EVERYWHERE! I need to thin them out; otherwise, I probably won't get one large enough to produce seeds.

My Pearly Everlasting has died back, too, but isn't it a cool weather plant? If not, I'll be trying it again next year. I can't seem to find a happy medium for it. Last year's rain did the one in I planted in the ground. This year, I planted one in a pot, and it really didn't do very well.

So how's everyone else's garden doing?

Susan

Comments (6)

Sponsored