SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neonposey

eddie dewayne scoop

neonposey
16 years ago

Well folks it really happened. I went to EddieDewayne's place last nite and got the grand tour of his yard and the greenhouse, and even met his cat and dog. Y'all, this guy is super nice and very smart and has a great breeding program going on. He's doing some great things there. The greenhouse was stuffed full of gorgeous plants and not a bug or web or diseased leaf in sight. Everything was incredibly healthy and good looking. Seed pods were tagged and hanging on quite a few of his plants. New Orleans Lady was blooming and was absolutely magnificant, so those of you who have cuttings, or a new plant, you're gonna go nuts when she gets those first blooms. A small double pink which I think was Peanut or Sam was also blooming and its a definate "Gotta Have". There were some others blooming, deep pinks, double whites and pinks, some of his crosses. One of those double/triple bloom shredded ones. I didn't think I liked the shreds until I saw this puppy. It was beautiful. There were also loads of his other plants in there which he has in his ebay store and there was not a bad potful in the bunch so take it from one who has seen his setup first hand, everyone is totally safe buying from him. I just can't say enough about how healthy everything was. I didn't buy anything because of his zoning restrictions he cant sell out of his greenhouse but I will definately be picking me out some things and paying him thru Paypal.

He has also offered me some of his plants that have been winter hardy here in our zone, that he plans to plow under to make room to grow out others so I'll be going back to get those. I feel like the luckiest person on the forum! LOL.

I can't wait to see his yard late spring, mid summer. Its going to be amazing. He has some very striking plants - all kinds of cactus big and small, very unusual other plants that I've never even heard of and his house sits in front of a lake. It was awesome. I held a blooming voodoo lily and thought it was super ugly and he just laughed at me.

I asked about his feeding and insect program and its very simple. He said he feeds some osmocote twice a year, some miracle grow 2 or 3 times a week, throws out slug bait, and hand picks earwigs at 1:00 am when they are feeding. He doesn't spray but does set off bombs if he needs to.

So theres the scoop folks. Keep an eye on this guy's plants... you won't be sorry. Hes continuing to try to get things in from Germany so I expect some good crosses out of him.

And of course when I get things going you know I'll be swapping those cuttings and hope to have some good things to trade.

Eddie if you're reading this -- I hope you don't mind that I shared my thoughts with my brug buddes. I thought they needed to hear all of this and know that not only are you a great gardener, you're a super nice and generous person!

P.S. - that is not him in the Kongmansia picture ;)

Comments (53)

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Wow, sounds like a neat place. I would love to see it.

• jumpin4joy
    16 years ago

Id love to go but if I cant buy plants it doesnt sound like much fun. More Like tourture. Id ask what he sold things for and just drop the money were the pot was technically I took it he didnt sell it. lol Not my fault Im clumsy and throw my money away. LOL Yeah I look at Kong daily and he told me he thought he'll bloom this year Eddie that is(No the plants arent speaking). I have him in full sun so I hope he thrives. Ill post pics when/if he blooms.

• Related Discussions

7 different variegated brugs

Q

Comments (49)
    Edna... You sure do have a nice collection of variegated brugs in your garden!!! I am TOTALLY jealous!!! I just love the look! I did 'clip' your original post to save in my records for future reference. I have two--Snowbank (3rd year) and recently acquired a Sunset from Eddie. The Snowbank has yet to flower...I baby it in regards to sunlight exposure, and I don't know if that hinders any potential blooms... Thanks for sharing your beauties with us Edna!!! ~Mary Jane
    ...See More

Looking for Chief.

Q

Comments (21)
    I have a bunch of Liz's The Chief crosses growing out and have posted a bunch of photos in my blog. Last year I registered Brugmansia "Lizzy" (named after Liz), a beautiful triple pink from a cross Liz made of Rubirosa x The Chief. I hope to have a bunch of Lizzy seeds available for the iBrugs seed bank this summer with Lizzy as the pod parent. Currently I have pods of Lizzy x Herbstzauber, Lizzy x Langenbuscher Garter, Lizzy x Angel's Goldface and a bunch more growing. We should see some nice multi-skirt yellows and oranges out of those crosses. In the next couple of years you should see lots of new double/triple yellows and oranges introduced in the U.S. Exciting times are ahead for brug enthusiasts! Fred Here is a link that might be useful: Fred's Garden Blog
    ...See More

Datura seeds

Q

Comments (5)
    Jerry, I'm sorry I just got back from the coast, I mailed the seeds to you from there. When I went to get the mail today, they were returned for additonal postage, I guess I sent out too many seeds. I will mail them out again on Monday. Barbra
    ...See More

My shopping woes . . .

Q

Comments (34)
    I can occasionally find new things (on sale) that I like in stores like Kohl's, Penney's, Goody's, which now has a different name, but have much better luck at thrift stores or Goodwill, for either new, or like new items. At a thrift store this week I got a brand new Bonworth long sleeved cotton shirt for $1.25and also got a heavier soft cotton floral knit top for $1.25 and a pretty long sleeved gold polyester stitched pleated front blouse for just $2.50. It takes time to browse through all the mixed up sizes and styles, but I can usually find something that is nice, fits good, and is certainly the right price. A couple of weeks ago I got a nice long sleeved tan blouse for a dollar, Dress Barn brand. In going to their site, I see now they only sell things that you described in your post. The conservative blouse I bought must be vintage, or at least 'older' though it is in near new condition and I like the style. Here is a link that might be useful: What you were talking about...Dress Barn Women's 'blouses'
    ...See More
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

Sounds like you really had a great time!
    I've bought several from him via ebay in the past and he does have great plants. They are all healthy and going strong.
    I can't imaging picking off earwigs with my hands- I hate those things lol. I got pinched by one when I was little and I'm still traumatized LMAO!

• chena
    16 years ago

Very Cool!! I would love to visit..I have bought many plants from him over the yrs.. Always great plants!!! Very nice guy as well!
    Kylie

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Have gotten many plants from him and ALL were great.
    J4J: You've got the KONG? Lucky You!... please keep us posted on how it does for you. Gloria

• jumpin4joy
    16 years ago

I am so excited. I just cant wait for my first flush.

• wildflower
    16 years ago

I cannot wait to get up there and go with you to visit him! Hopefully this summer. I'll be doing like J4J suggested and...Oooops, I dropped a little money on the floor there Eddie...Can I have this brug right here...

• neonposey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL at y'all droppin' money. I think I can probably 'shop' there but would need to run the money thru paypal so he can stay legal. Or maybe just get his prices for certain ones I want to leave with and thten leave him a 'donation' to help support his breeding program?????? I figure where theres a will, theres a way. Just think, more plants if I don't have to pay shipping!

Michelle - I'll be glad when you get here too and we can go. We'll probably talk his ears off and nose in his stuff til he feels like throwing us in the lake! LOL....

• jumpin4joy
    16 years ago

Boy theres always a way around things, Just send the money ahead and shop till you drop. He can just refund when you get home, LOL Like there would be any left. Let me be quite. There wont be any good stuff on ebay from him if I tell you anymore youll go buy it all. LOL Just share!!!Me first....I call dibs.

• eddiedewayne
    16 years ago

WOW THAT EDDIEDEWAYNE PERSON SOUNDS GREAT ,LOL LOL I BET HE IS VERY HANDSOME TOO LOL LOL LOL

the person in the kongmansia pic is jeff , my partner.

i wish some of you lived closer , because i doubt if neonposey will be able to get all the brugmansia that i need to move .

in the second field , lots of seedlings from last year need to find a good home . lots of single whites, pinks and even a kongmansia root system is in that field .

wish you where all here to enjoy the brugs blooming today . angels swingtime "double yellow> mt magic, rubirosa , shredded peach , sam , pink smitty, new orleans lady , tinker bell " double orange>, mini me "one of my favorites>, american pride , mary k, rosabell, l'mour, and several seedlings double and triple whites .

tons of seed pods maturing , hopefully new american beauties in the future .

spring is in the air!
    happy gardening
    eddie

neonposey, ty ty for saving these brugs .

• neonposey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, Eddie is very cute too, but taken, so I guess I'll just have to limit my lust to his plants. LOL.

If the rain ends today, I'll be going back tomorrow with a crew of teens with shovels. Of course I'll be supervising to make sure no one loses tags. LOL... (it pays to have a teenager with friends). And I bet I just might have to have another look in that greenhouse to see all the prettys blooming.

I've got pots coming from the local greenhouse, and a load of compost/dirt/vermiculite mix. Theres no way I can buy that much miracle grow. I guess I'll have to drag the TV to the porch next week so I can watch American Idol while I'm potting brugs and bananas. Poor pitiful me! LOL.

(And the Mini Me was one of my favorites too... its on my list! Thank YOU, my generous friend!)

• stuishere
    16 years ago

;-)Hiya Eddie...hows u? I'm grrrrreat! Please shout out a hi to da gc pals.
    Stu

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Neonposey I'm jealous. I've bought a few of his brugs off of Ebay and they have always been very healthy. BTW is there a pic somewhere that I'm missing? I don't see a pic with a plant or a person in this thread.
    Karyn

• neonposey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karyn: When Eddie offered up Kongmansia on ebay, he included a picture with bloom size. I think the listing and pictures are gone, but I happened to have kept a pic for future reference. I know one of the parents is SuperNova but I don't think I ever heard him say who the other parent is. Get a load of this bloom!

{{gwi:481765}}

{{gwi:481767}}

• hong2007
    16 years ago

I'm with Karyn! where are the pictures and where is the link to his web site or ebay site?

• chena
    16 years ago

Now I am TOTALLY Jealous!!! You are going back??? OH MAN!! The price I pay for living out in BFE...Ain't a dang thing even remotely close .. maybe 10hrs away... :^(
    I hope you have a wonderful time take some pics if you can I would love to see Eddie's place..Hope you get loads of wonderful things!!! Have a GREAT time and be Safe!!!
    Kylie

• wildflower
    16 years ago

Kylie, I'm anxiously awating pics from her too!!! I'm about 5 hours away but get up to Winston normally once or twice a year and am ready to start planning a visit.

Hong, he is eddiedewayne on ebay also I believe...Here's a link to some "buy it now" stuff he has on another site.

Here is a link that might be useful: eddiedewayne

• jumpin4joy
    16 years ago

If you end up with an extra ediable bannana I would love to get one for the kids to grow. They love fruit more than candy. Ill happily pay for shipping. thanks a bunch and Boy you are lucky. Im in SC and may have to come visit when I can afford the gas. LOL

• chena
    16 years ago

ROAD TRIP!!!! LOL.. I have been home from Kansas for a while maybe I need to pack a bag!

• eddiedewayne
    16 years ago

gm folks, i'm so glad i have found this forum . sounds like alot of great gardeners are in here .

if you ever get a chance to meet Neonposey, i suggest you do it . great lady and fantastic person . one fun lady !

i'm hoping a few of you could help me in a project . i want to write a book about brugmansia and datura . i would love to feature a grower from each of our states . anyone with writing skills is welcome to help too . god knows i need help in that area . lol lol
    happy gardening
    eddie

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Eddie

If you have no one in Arkansas - I'd love to help! :) Maybe Brugs WILL become more popular here! lol! I've 'enabled' anyone & everyone I can! What will the 'particulars' consist of? Any ideas you might have - let me know! Shoot me an email with pertinent information - or post here.

Mike

• neonposey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Eddie: Why don't you start a new thread about the book so all of the replies come into your mailbox. You will need to go into your gardenweb profile and enable the setting that lets people send you email also. I think the book is a fantastic idea. You can count on me to help all I can.

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

neonposey

Sounds like a great idea! :)

Mike

• chena
    16 years ago

Sounds like a fantastic idea... BTW!! Welcome to the family Eddie... We are all very happy you have found this froum as well...You honestly won't meet a better more giving and loving group of folks..
    Kylie

• jumpin4joy
    16 years ago

Sounds wonderful. Im in South Carolina and more than willing to help out. I always wanted to write a book about chickens but never knew where to start.

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Kristy

Start with the EGG! lol! (I had to say it!)

Mike

• lovelyiris
    16 years ago

Hey wait a minute, I maybe old and slow but I'm still up for a road trip. Kylie pick me up in Sulpher Springs when your headed to Eddies. Maybe we can rent a bus and all of us go. LOL I know that we will have to stop and pick up Kristy and Mike somewhere along the way.

Eddie, don't let these folks fool you. They will all be up there at your place with shovels in their hands asking where they can dig. LOL If you see a real old gray haired lady with a bonnet on that'll be me. Don't pay any attention to what I'm up to, it's the others you better be worried about. ( He will not see what goes into my pockets) I'm sure he wouldn't miss a small cutting of this and that. Shhhhhh Mike, don't tell him....I'll share with you later. (crossing my fingers behind my back) If I'm going to go to hell for stealing, I'm not sharing with anyone).LOL

Eddie all joking aside, this is the best bunch of gardeners and Brugmansia and Dat lovers around. They beat all the other forums hands down.

We would all be interested in some of the culls your getting rid of. Is there anyway we could get anything for postage. It would still be better than TRASHING THEM. I know alot of people making all these crosses would disagree. But then some of us live out in BFE as Kylie said. And we wouldn't really care if other people liked what we were growing.

Hey wasn't someone here going to send me some banana trees this summer. I need a few more to go down by the pond and creekbeds.

Welcome to the family Eddie.
    Happy gardening everyone.
    Love Marian

• napdognewfie
    16 years ago

I'm in MD. Happy to help out any way I can.

Linda

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Marian & Kylie

Pick me up at 5:00 am! :) I haven't had a good road trip in - well, never mind how long! lol!

Mike

• chena
    16 years ago

So long as ya'll know I am not the driver once we get some where.. Coz there are Frosty Beverages in the box. We either stay or someone else drives..LOL 5:00am works for me.. By that time I have got babies fed...
    Life IS good!!!

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

You guys are too much; thanks for the laugh!

• eddiedewayne
    16 years ago

good morning all , thanks for the great welcome to your group. plant people ROCK!

thanks for all of the help on the brug book . i have grown brugs since i was around 21 years of age . its been part of my life from the first one i saw in bloom in naples florida. it was around 12 foot tall and hung over a lakes edge. i'm just sure that plant had 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,00,000,000 blooms . lol well it was the first brug i had ever seen. lol lol i feel that i owe these plants something back , they have given so much to me . it will take awhile for me to get complete details on the book, but this is one project i really want to see completed . i was thinking about calling it , the big book of brugmansia and datura . any other suggestions ?

i truly hoped to save a few of the brugs in the fields . neonposey has saved some , and for that i thank her . i have limited time before i have to have the fields plowed and tilled and planted . i wish i could save or ship all of them , but i can't . never enough time in the day .

Marian i know a lot of your statements where jokes but sad enough its true. it seems , when they take some think its always the only one i have of that species . lol . last year i lost 1/3 of my agave collection , voodoo lilies , variegated day lilies , 4 ft tall blooming B. daydreams and the list goes on and on . i had to have camera's installed on my property . what has this world come too?

i love the idea of finding cash all over the greenhouse .lol i wish i had trees that could produce $$$ .lol seriously , i'm regulated by my state and inside the city limits . any transaction here could cause me to lose my licence and the city would make me move my eye sore of a greenhouse . i hope everyone understands.

i'm not completely sure about visits. i have a partner and must consider him first . when i started this farm thing , he said ok , but no one visits here . i don't allow anyone from the local farmers market that i sell at to visit.

maybe i could set something up as autumn approaches . the banana's will have fruit , brugs in bloom , reeds will be huge . i will have a lot more free time then .

happy gardening
    eddie

• chena
    16 years ago

LOL... Believe me we understand and are playin with ya...Altho you could refer to us as "Day Labor"...I don't think anyone around here goes anywhere with out a shovel...ROFL
    Kylie

• jumpin4joy
    16 years ago

I dont blame you a bit about be nervous about people coming to your home. I raise and sell english Bulldogs and they will walk off and at times by people you would have trusted with your kids. Since I have been dealing with my puppies I have learned more than I cared to know about the integerity of people and how far they will go. I have been nervous just setting up a tomato stand in the front yard. I am sure I will end up loseing before its over but it will kick me in the teeth and everyone here I can count on to help me vent and get over it. I am a member of BGI as well but I could never leave here. My first brug came from here in a surprise box about 4 years ago and i have been spreading joy since. pleanty of good people willing to test cuttings and seeds in their states and discuss experiences. All kidding aside we all enjoy shareing and all also understand the rush involved and all the hard work and time it takes to prepare boxes for shipping. If your not able thats fine we just cant stand to see things got to waste. Some of us are just poor garderners always looking for that pot of gold. LOL If nothing else I am sure you have alot to offer in way of information and advice and we all enjoy that. Frankly I get lost @ times with all the techinal terms but Am always willing to learn. LOL Again thanks for joining and again All begging aside lol Have fun and get all those new babies in the ground. Cant wait to see what you have in store. ***Please post pics whenever you can. Id love to see how Purtty things are. Brandy If you ever have a batch of cuutings you have time to share just keep us in mind. PS. Vodoo Lillies are neat and Im sorry you lost yours. I can send you one if you want.

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Kristy

After your heart-felt post - I can't beg now!! And I was going to - trust me! :) But seriously Eddie - welcome to the forum. There are so many nice people here & your wisdom, knowledge, and insight would be a definite plus! I think you've found an 'extended' family here (you have no idea). Nuts - most of the time, but 'serious' when it's called for! I hope you stick around & get to meet everyone. :)

Mike

• maemae0312
    16 years ago

Nice to meet you Eddie!!! And welcome. I know I for one will be thrilled to hear your experieces growing brugs. I got my first last year at a local nursery. Didn't really know what I was getting into. But when it bloomed! Boy oh boy was hooked!!! I am hoping to start this season off with a little more knowledge than I had before and look forward to learning more about these amazing plants.

Mary

• gardenpaw
    16 years ago

So glad to see you on GW Eddie, Welcome!!!
    The Brug Native Habitat dbl. peach I bought from you is
    doing fine, waiting to get outside in the sunshine, :)
    Looking forward to hearing more about your book, great
    idea!
    Karen

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Welcome, Eddie. It's so nice to finally get to talk with you. You've got Brugs all over the country, and here in sunny CA they brighten up my days. Thanks for such continued wonderfully healthy plants. Gloria

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Welcome Eddie, we are just kidding about invading your yard, lol. Don't let us scare you. Mike it wasn't me posting, lol.
    Kristy

• jumpin4joy
    16 years ago

Glad to see everyone is behaving! Dont want to scare anyone off. You could see the drooling. LOL

• kayjones
    16 years ago

Welcome, Eddie! Make that 'slobber', jumpin4joy! LOL I surely would like to buy that HUGE blooming plant - is it available anywhere? Email me through 'my page', please, if it is. Thank you!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Welcome Eddie, and thanks for sending us such, wounderful healthy plants. I am so pleased with the plants I won from you. Barbra,

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Heya Eddie! Welcome!

• threas
    16 years ago

Hi Eddie, Welcome to the forum. You have stumbled into a goldmine!!! Wonderful people, willing to help & share, not just Brugs, at the drop of a hat!
    Your book sounds fantastic! I'm in PA, if I can help at all.

Theresa

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Does anyone know if there are any more of the Kongs available? Kayjones in the above post is looking for one. If you see this Eddie would you email her please. She is an older lady and doesn't know about ebay so trying to help her out.

• jumpin4joy
    16 years ago

I can say they are pretty expensive right now. Mine was $60.00 and he said when I bought it he was only selling like 3 this season. @ that time i was getting the second one as far as I know? Hope there is another one left. there will be more to come though im sure.

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Oh, I thought that was one that went over a hundred. Still, I think she didn't realize how expensive and new it was so she said she would wait until its more readily available. Thanks for the help.

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Oh, I thought that was one that went over a hundred. Still, I think she didn't realize how expensive and new it was so she said she would wait until its more readily available. Thanks for the help.

• jumpin4joy
    16 years ago

He may have had another that went over $100.00 i wouldnt doubt it. I kinda begged and pleadded. LOL It is very new and neat. Im so excited. The frost last night didnt faze him.

• kay456jones_live_com
    13 years ago

How can I buy some of this guy's Brugs? Could someone email me his contact information, PLEASSSSSSE?!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus