SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kek19

Help!

kek19
16 years ago

When I got up this morning, my 30 gal aquarium, that currently has 2 pupating monarch cats, 2 just molted into 5th instar and one larger 5th instar cat was COVERED in green and orange goo! I have paper towel in the bottom, and it looks like something or someone was mutalated in there! The 2 pupating have been at the top of the cage since yesterday after noon. One was molting when I cleaned the cage and fed yesterday, so I just set the leaf and stem in the bottom, figured when he was done he would climb up the bottle to the fresh leaves. He chose to stay where he was and eat the leaf he was on, and he seems fine. So I can only assume all the green and orange goo is from the other 2. But there's so much, I can't even imagine it came from 2 cats puking. The last two cats are "hiding" under one layer of paper towel. No injuries (the mess kind of reminds me of the time I accidently cut at tob. horn worm while trimming the toms, and green stuff just gushed and flew everywhere, sorry about the graphic description) From my past expirience w/ that viral infection and cats spewing green stuff, there's just way too much for that. What could've caused this??

There has to be something wrong w/ the milkweed I gave them. The orchard behind us did spray yesterday, but I was out there watching while they went by our house and there was no wind, and I collected mw from the front of our house, and across the street, just in case, and washed it really well.

I read a while back on some monarch site (can't remember which) that the reason Monarchs lay eggs on younger plants is because as the plant gets older the toxins increase to the point that they are toxic to the cats. Anyone else ever heard of this?? I did collect from one plant that had the deep red viens and felt kind of leathery, but it was small. I have a huge mw plant in the yard, that i stopped collecting from when I had the previous illnesses. That plant looks weird. It's lower leaves are so dark they are almost black, and greasy. I think one of the plants I collected from may have been a runner from that one, I can't remember. I know I try to avoid collecting from any in that area, unless I'm low on mw, waiting for the mowed down to grow back (like now). Any thoughts or opinions?

Right now, I've taken out the MW and the paper towel. I think I'll put the 3 cats into individual containers and bleach the aquarium. I haven't checked the lil guys yet. I hope they didn't get bad mw too! The most protected mw (at least from possible over spray from the orchard) is my Butterfly weed, no way that could've been oversprayed. Is it ok to switch mw on them? Those leaves are so little I can't imagine how anyone can feed their cats on the thin leaved milkweeds.

You wanna know the really funny part of all this (well I guess if you have a twisted sense of humor) I woke up this morning to a very whinny 2yr old. When I got to her bed, she was covered head to toe in her diareah. So I spent the 1st hour or so cleaning her and her bed and bedding up. I just finished w/ her when I found the cat cage. Must be a day for taking care of sick ones! Ok, now I'm just rambling. sorry...

Thanks

Karri

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths