SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bird_of_paradise

Gymnocalycium not rooting - Your input, please

This posting seems to have gotten "lost" in another post, so I'm reposting to highlight it here -

Six months ago, I received what I believe to be Gymnocalycium (mihanovichii friedrichii?) pups in two varieties, a smooth bodied green one with rounded inward pointing spines and a 'lumpy' bodied reddish brown one with straight outward pointing spines.

The reddish brown one has not grown ONE single root during the entire winter. I have Googled the plant to see if this brown/red one grows on its own in soil - It does. Why doesn't mine have roots?

The color makes it appear to be dead but it's alive and solid, not hollow & dessicated. I really need to understand why it doesn't have any roots...does it require a host, like the colored red/yellow/orange "Moon Cactus" does? Should I lance and graft them onto Hylocereus? I know how to do that...I've successfully grafted many moon cactus pups.

I received these together with the greener variety pictured, kept them both in the same pot all winter, treated both the same and the green one has rooted. I just transplanted into separate pots. The spines alone tell me they are two different Gymno varieties. The color has remained consistently the same as when I first received it. The soil looks different, but it is the same succulent mix...I just watered the green one. Since the other has no roots, I only watered scantly.

Looking forward to your response.

Comments (9)