SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdbabe

Milkweed question, please answer ASAP

bluebirdbabe
16 years ago

If milkweed was sprayed with chemicals, if I wash it really good will it be ok to give to the monarch cats? I live in the country and will not use milkweed along the road by corn fields, but my milkweed is getting bad early this year and I saw some beautiful milkweed in town in front of a shop. I asked the owner if she thought the city sprayed any chemicals and she did not think they did. Please answer asap as I will go cut it today.

My milkweed is getting yellow and the lower leaves have mold on them. Some of the newer leaves are curling up. I need some nice fresh milkweed and there are 4 plants in front of this store. It is in with small evergreen bushes. I can't imagine why the city would spray, but just in case they did.....I want to know if I wash it will it be OK?

I have been raising monarch's for 3 years. This is the first year I had those #@#* maggots come out of 3 of my cats. It is very disgusting and sad. I had sneaky monarchs this year and did not find the eggs, but I found small cats and brought them in. I have released 17 so far I have another 23 in different stages and 15 crysalsis.(sp)

What do the flies look like that kill my cats? (lay eggs in them) boy, that is heartbreaking to see. I was about ready to give up because I have so many cats, and eggs and I am having a hard time finding tender young milkweed for the tiny cats until I saw what can happen to them leaving them outside. I have over 100 plants in my front garden (DH is very unhappy about that) and countless plants out in my field. When I try and find milkweed, there is either an egg or tiny cat on it that is why I want to get the milkweed in the city.

Any info is appreciated.

Karen

Comments (10)

Sponsored