SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pixel_pepper

What do you grow indoors?

Pixel_Pepper
12 years ago

Hello,

I've been lurking for a while and have learned a lot (the biggest thing being, roots need air! Who knew?). As a result, my gardening hobby is taking off and there is very little space left on my balcony for new plants, which is the only outdoor space I have available at the moment. (It's mostly full of recuperating Aloe plants I adopted, a bunch of Jade cuttings, and some Bell Pepper plants that have put up with way too much already, although I'm trying to grow lettuce too.) Point is, I can only expand inward!

So, what do you grow indoors? Do you have special lighting, or do the plants do well by a window? Do you feed your indoor plants differently than your outdoor plants? Do your plants show growth and pup, or are they just dormant?

Currently I have a few small Haworthias, Peperomias, mini Aeoniums and Strings of Pearls indoors in a bark-based mix. They have not shown much sign of growth, which is probably because they are about 10 feet from the nearest window. I chose these varieties for indoors based on their labels that said "filtered light", but could probably situate them closer to the window if I rearranged some things.

Related question-- Would a rotating indoors/outdoors schedule be better than constantly being inside? For example, let's say I brought them outside for a week at a time, with a week indoors in between. Would that be helpful or stressful to the plants? I figure they would probably grow faster if they were outside, but I like having plants inside and would have to make space for them outside.

Thanks for your responses!

~Pixel_Pepper (happy newbie)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting