SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
murray_2008

Tiny Tan Cocoons Again

murray_2008
14 years ago

I am currently rearing bunch of Battus philenor (Pipe Vine Swallowtail) and Papilio zelicaon (Anise Swallowtail) cats and have found two tiny little tan cocoons on some of the stems of the fennel plants they are feeding on. It makes me sick to think that I may be rearing a bunch of "dead cats walking". This hasn't happened to me in years and I hope it won't be like the last time when all died leaving those nasty cocoons behind. Only time will tell. I found the cats at a variety of stages from teeny to midway stages and one almost ready to pupate. They were all on virtually the same plant and that is what gives me great concern. I will just have to wait and see.

At this point the pvs cats look okay but there are so many of them I have had to put them back on the vines and cover them with netting to offer as much protection as possible. In the past I have found that if I raise them indoors for as long as I can keep up with them they seem to have a better chance of survival if they are a good size when I put them outside.

I will keep you posted. Murray

Comments (4)

Sponsored