SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex928

Newbie with chrysalis question

alex928 Z8/LA
13 years ago

I feel kind of funny posting since I don't have a butterfly garden (although maybe someday!). I do, however, have a big pot outside with several herbs growing in it, including parsley, which from time to time plays host to black swallowtail caterpillars, which has been the case again over these last couple of weeks. Over the last day or two, one of the caterpillars (Henri) has pupated on a tall stalk of rosemary in the pot. Another one though (Adrian) pupated on an oregano stem (yeah, maybe it's weird, but I tend to name the caterpillars). The latter looked to me like a rather undesirable place for a chrysalis and I wasn't comfortable with leaving it there, so I detached the part of the stem that had the chrysalis and brought it inside. I didn't know what else to do with it. It is now lying on it's side in a small cardboard box on top of several layers of paper towels.

I am hoping Adrian can emerge as a butterfly OK like that, but I'm a bit nervous about it, since I've never had this situation before. Can they emerge OK lying on its side like that? Will he be able to climb up the side of the box and let his wings dry? It's a smallish box, but I'm thinking there should be enough room. I guess I'm just nervous because I've never brought one inside before.

Sorry if that is long and rambling!

Comments (6)

Sponsored