SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Swan Flower Caterpillar

While strolling around the century (or more) old Kicaster cemetery 20 miles south of San Antonio, Texas today I was surprised ...

{{gwi:496325}}

... to look down and see this Pipevine swallowtail cat in the middle of the mown weeds of the cemetary:

{{gwi:496328}}

Without a pipevine in sight and wondering if there was an alternate food source in that sandy soil I searched the internet when I got home and found this reference to its food source.

"The most common pipevine in Austin, Texas is the Swan Flower (Aristolochia erecta) It is found in lawns and roadsides east of Interstate 35. Swan Flower looks very much like grass with homely caterpillars covering it. The flowers are green and brown with pouch-like or pipe-like structures. The caterpillars eat the flowers first, so the presence of the caterpillar is one of the best identifying characteristics for this plant. If you try to transplant Swan Flower, be aware that there is a large tuber underground which should not be damaged."

On a search of the butterfly discussion board I did find this plant discussed by texaspuddyprint last year.

Anyway I'm just passing this along because I had not heard of this plant and thought it was an interesting and perhaps a fairly unknown type of pipevine used by Pipevine swallowtail caterpillars. I wish I had known when I was there to search for the little grassy looking aristolochia erecta. It sounds like an interesting plant but I wonder it would survive in the hard black clay where I live on the north side of San Antonio.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swan Flower (Aristolochia erecta)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH