SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

"Wherever There' Room For Dirt."

hijole
10 years ago

Ok one more time, the Brick Red container is also styro foam and I painted it with brick red paint too, I'm posting a picture next showing a shoe, coffee can, Tuna can and empty Tea Box thats been converted into a succulent container garden. Spring is here !!!

Greg

Comments (27)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

Ay Dios Mios! such color. Beats my old worn out plastic pots.

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I have here a few containers made out of 1.) A Tuna, can 2.) A empty Tea box 3.) A Coffee can and a empty Tin can of Coffee.
    theres a shoe around here someplace, nothing gets by without passing my potting table, Nothing! :)

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol... stanofh, Ay dios mios is right! :) almost like hijole too, So here I have a empty Coffee can with some succulents I've cut to propagate and maybe make myself a cup of coffee, I mean a little temporary holding pot until I get ready to PIG thats cacti & succulent lingo for "plant in ground" Lol... omg... I need to get some sleep, night all.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, So it might look like I have alot of time on my hands and I do now since Im done for the day and now I can relax a bit, here I have one old Coffee can & a plastic pot that I painted with some colors you might recognize, does this help, "HEY MON!"

Good night,

Greg

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Here are some of mine.

Under this fern is a chiminea(sp)

{{gwi:144185}}

This is very full now,will have to get a new picture as it's starting to bloom.

{{gwi:519873}}

This is the plant that is in the old fountain above.

{{gwi:519876}}

Notice the shoes,they used to be a bright red,they need a new paint job now.

{{gwi:519878}}

Think this one is my favorite,from a yard sale years ago.

{{gwi:495205}}

old galvanized container.

{{gwi:519880}}

Don't know what this container was for,the openings are too big to house a bird.Got it from a friend,2 of them.

{{gwi:191477}}

yankee candle holder
    {{gwi:191482}}

Don't know what this was for either,got it at the goodwill for .50 cents,reminds me of the earth.

{{gwi:191480}}

better view of the shoes

{{gwi:519884}}

Kathi

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathi, I can see we both love all the beautiful colors, Your variety of color is beautiful I love them all and that tub with the purple flowers 0r royal blue is stunning.
    And that bird bath with the angels with the nice Echeverias overflowing is a beauty too. I can see you've been hit by this addiction really hard also, CONGRATULATIONS GIRL!

Greg

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Thank you Greg,yup sure do love me some flowers and everything,(well almost) everything related to them

If you want to see more of what I grow,put my name just as you see it above in the search engine for the cottage garden,california gardening,container garden and African violets to name a few.

Have a pot of coffee or beverage of your choice,as you'll be there awhile LOL.
    Kathi

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok.. My coffee is ready but i could'nt seem to access the site I'm sure it's me but in any case I would love to take a peek at the garden, you put so much passion into your work and it's noticeable.

Well I've got to go my Coffee,s getting cold :)

Greg

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Greg;
    Make sure you put that underline between my name and initials; like this
    Kathi_mdgd then when the page comes up click on the name of the flower/plant in that post.I just checked it and it worked for me.I have 874 pictures at the gw according to them.Hope it works for you.
    Kathi

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I had Tuna for lunch and then I remembered, hey this can holds dirt so I popped this little aloe ? into the can with some fresh soil. I have been turning everything into a succulent container. Most people that stop by dont even realize it till I tell um.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, this is it, the last one that I'll post, its & empty Mixed Peanuts container. Hey!! Im hooked on Succulents where am I supposed to put all the new growth, The trash can :/

Greg

• chicagardens
    10 years ago

Kathi- I love this orb plant stand thing, its very cool looking!

{{gwi:519878}}

and i think these might be bird feeders, it looks very similar to something i already have and was told it was just that. i love it!

{{gwi:191477}}

Greg- What did you use to make the drain hole for this? also, do you pain the inside? i've found that a can i painted on the outside started to rust on the inside, it didn't turn out so well :/

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

chicagardens, no paint on the inside, on some Ive painted the top part only, As for the drainage hole, an old fashsion can opener does the trix. I had to shop @ for one too and finally found it at WALMART.

Greg

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Greg,
    I know you know more about C&S than I do, but the succulent in your tuna container looks more like a Haworthia to me than an Aloe.

Planto

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

chicagardens, How did u do that, Post my picture & the others too? Very clever :)

Plantó, Im lucky I even found this GW page, lol... I have 7 kids and Ive always called them the by the wrong names too, and thats why I placed a ? mark next to it becuz I still thought it was an aloe but wasnt sure which one. Thxz for reminding me :) my wife bought me some of those Ginko supplements for memory and she asked me if Ive been taking them & I said, I forgot where I left them :)

I am working on remembering allll there names but there's so many..

Greg

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Greg,
    Wow, seven kids? So, can I tell people the next time they ask why we don't want children, that you had our share of kids? I mean that in a funny way, I hope that doesn't come out wrong. :)

It's okay, I'm quite the novice myself. Some Aloes look like Haworthias ans vice versa. Then, some are hybrids so that makes it more hairy. I'm usually guessing incorrectly to top it off lol.

Planto

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Planto, lol... You can say it but it might come back to u someway or another, there all grown up now so I can see light at the end of the tunnel ;) .

And by the way I have 3 sons & 4 daughters whew!!... But now I have unnumerable cacti & succulents :)

Only one of my sons has got the bug for C&S problem is he makes all his from mine, he comes over with prunning shears :/

Greg

• chicagardens
    10 years ago

Greg- very clever! i have an ordinary can opener at home. I'll save my cans now and use them now that I know how to add drainage holes! Very cool, thank you.

Is the opening nice and clean or do I need to hammer or sand down so I don't cut myself in the future because...knowing me...I will forget that and stick my hand right into the can. OOPSIE! :)

As for the reposting pic, you can follow these steps.

1. hover over the image with your mouse
    2. left click
    3. select "copy image URL"

{{gwi:519887}}

4. paste the image in your post as normal, for example, the below is exactly what i posted in my post. the link is for your succulent in the red tuna fish can.

{{gwi:519888}}

The link image url you copy goes in between the " ".

This will allow you to paste many images in a single post.

does that help?

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Greg,
    Lol! Well, between our spoiled rotten fur child and all my plants, those are my children. ;) Were the girls or boys "easier" to care for? Some say boys are harder to raise while some say girls.

Haha, I'm sure it means more to him since it came from your plants than if he were to would go buy them. :) Are your other children into plants at all?

Planto

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chicagardens, Thxs, i always have a lil problem with cut & paste :/ but I think I could get help if I ever do that #.
    No rough edges if you go completely around with your can opener, My wife sometimes cuts and leave a little bit to pry open the other end and I'd say, HEY!!! you just messed up my succulent container because then it will be DANGEROUS.:/

Planto, Good question, My eldest son was the easiest outta the boy's but seems the older he gets the more trouble he can find Lol.. ( he's 37 yrs old.) My daughters were all easy But I did'nt want any girls ( To raise) But I'm glad I had them becuz they're a Total blessing to me, however the youngest one (21 has alway's thought she was the BOSS of everything Lol.. :)
    Thxs for asking.

And as far the OLdest One taking all the cuttings I really don't mind, Because he's always helping me @ the house when he comes over. Well now I'm at work so I's got to go! have a nice day ya'll.

Greg

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Greg,
    Lol, the older you get, the less trouble you're supposed to be getting into. I think deep down, my Dad wanted a son at some point (three of us girls).

The "baby" is usually the bossy one. Wait a minute, I'm the "baby" too. Haha.

That's good that your son helps out. :) Work? What's that? :P

Planto

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

I keep one of those can openers in my garden cart also,for when I need to make holes.

For making nice clean holes in plastic,i use my wood burning tool,since I don't do wood burning anymore.

Yesterday I got myself a nice garden cart by ames,and a bucket for carrying around when I deadhead things.I love them both,makes life so much easier than using a wheel barrow.Only spen about 25.00 for both at HD.
    kathi

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

AWESOME pics kathi and greg/hjole

Love the inspiration.

It's awesome what a can of paint will do! Also you can use the can of paint for more cuttings after ^_^ hehehehe

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thxz yorkiemiki, I agree, a little bit of paint can do wonders :)

thxz Greg

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Greg,
    Last week I planted one of those pots that you lay on it's side,mound the soil in and out of it(hope u know what I mean) and planted it with lobelias.I have some pics on my camera,just havn't uploaded them.Also turned a wagon that the handle had broke on into a garden and planted it with peonies,zinnias,lobelia,and I think one or 2 more things that escape my mind right now.

Chicago that stand that you like is another freebie from a friend who was going to throw it away.Told her not to trash anything til she checked with me first.LOL
    Kathi

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

I do believe that years ago this had another purpose!
    K

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Ya think??? Are you going to add more to it to fill it or will that plant fill it nicely??/
    Kathi

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner