SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladobe

Hesperioidea: Classification Revised

ladobe
14 years ago

I know most of you are not too interested in the taxonomy of Lepidoptera, or the long processes that take place to make changes to it. Even so, this is to advise that the classification of the family Hesperioidea has been revised.

I received an email today from my friend (and little grasshopper) Dr. Andrew Warren. He included a pdf file with the complete paper that he, J. R. Ogawa and A. V. Z. Browers wrote... "Revised classification of the family Hesperiidae (Lepidoptera: Hesperioidea) based on combined molecular and morphological data". I haven't read through it yet but like most papers it's two-colume 57 pages are very detailed. Eventually I'll weed through it all, and if there is anything that would be fitting to know at this level I'll try to pass them on to you folks.

Anyway, I think Andy started the work on this reclassification maybe 13 or 14 years ago. This was a massive undertaking covering all species worldwide (3500+). So it is a long process even for a top professional lepidopterist and recognized world Hesperiidae expert like him.

Larry

Comments (19)

Sponsored