SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Helping Clematis look their best year-round

jenn
12 years ago

We have 3 Clematis vines growing next to a large mature Westerland rose. Venosa Violacea on one side, and Minuet with Polish Spirit on the other. These plants require a lot of water and feeding, which I was unable to give them last year while I was working full-time (12-hour days) and tending to other bigger issues.

Yesterday while pruning them, I considered replacing them with CA natives. The Clematis were covered from top to bottom with brown leaves with some new green leaves here and there. The Westerland didn't bloom a lot last year (due to my neglect).

However, I'm retired now and able to devote more time to their care and feeding. I know they require a lot of water but these are special plants, not just dime-a-dozen perennials that I could find at any big-box store.

I'm wondering how those of you in warmer zones treat your type-3 Clematis after the first bloom flush. Mine begin blooming in late spring and continue through summer. After that, what can I do to keep them looking fresh and prevent the "dead vine" look in winter?

Comments (6)