SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Caterpillars galore!

caterwallin
9 years ago

I don't have any pics yet, but I don't remember when I had so many cats at one time! Other years the various butterfly species laid at varying times. I'd have American Ladies show up in late April/early May and lay on the pussytoes and pearly everlasting, the Black Swallowtails would lay a few eggs here and there and not a whole lot all at once and it was unpredictable when they'd lay their eggs, but it would be intermittent throughout the spring and summer. The Giants would usually show up fairly late, and the Pipevine Swallowtails would be later than what they were this year (the eggs just started hatching yesterday). This year everything is happening all at once, and I've been bringing in dozens upon dozens of eggs and cats.

I've never had female PVST hang around so long to lay eggs. I don't know if it's been the same two femaies, but most days for the past two or three weeks, I've had two butterflies laying on the Aristolochia macrophylla. For the first time since I started getting the PVST here, I'm worried that I might not have enough food, and I have a lot of pipevine. It doesn't take long to find eggs on the pipevine, and I'm just not bringing them all in or that's all that I'd get done. I really don't want to be out there gathering leaves more than I have to because I'm allergic to the pipevine (same as rue); I wasn't at first but am now. Without even looking over all of the pipevine, I'd be willing to bet that there's at least 500 eggs out there. My daughter and I cut off a section that was almost 2 feet long the other day. The cluster of eggs that we saw on the vine before we cut it was around 20 eggs, but little did we know that further down on that same piece of vine were other clusters. Just that one section of vine that we brought in had 70 eggs on it! Before that, I had brought in several clusters that totaled about 60 eggs. So I guess I'll be digging out my big containers to raise the PVSTs or else I'll need more shoebox size plastic containers that I had bought from Walmart several years ago (retrofitted with screen on part of the top). I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that I'll have enough food for the Pipevine Swallowtails. I wish that someone else in the area would have a stand of some type of pipevine and I'd gladly give them a bunch of cats. I'm even considering starting to pull off some leaves now and put them in a big ziploc bag in the frig in the hopes that more leaves will grow on the vines to replace them. That way I'd have a supply in the frig (assuming they'd be good for awhile) and hopefully have newer leaves coming on the vines where I take the other ones off. What do you think of this idea?

Other years I didn't have PVST butterflies show up here to lay eggs until the pipevine was already all leafed out. This year they showed up when most of the leaves were still getting bigger. These are my favorite cats to raise, along with Giant Swallowtails after they get out of the tiny dying stage (the GST, I mean) that I seem to have a problem with when trying to raise them.

I've been leaving the GST cats on the gas plants instead of bringing in the eggs as soon as I saw the female lay them. Hopefully they will be okay bringing them in later than I used to. I just brought in four cats last night and so far they're doing okay. They weren't at the super tiny stage anymore. I know that there are more out there on the gas plants (and maybe on the rue too), and I'll probably bring them in sometime today if I feel that they're big enough to bring in. I ordinarily wouldn't advise waiting around to bring in cats, but in my case, I feel that these cats are better off if I wait a couple days after they hatch, which is about this time.

I'm raising a few American Ladies in a pot of pussytoes that I brought in about a week ago and it sits on our back porch (screened in) just so I could show everyone here at the house. Being that they live in nests and have a tendency to keep themselves pretty hidden, I don't usually bring ALs in the raise. I'm hoping that they have a good success rate, considering that they're not exposed like most types of cats seem to be.

I'm sure I could find Wild Indigo Duskywings and Clouded Sulphurs up on my Baptisia australis plants and maybe find cats on my Lupinus perennis (certainly not Karner Blues, I wish) too, but I think I'm up to my eyeballs in caterpillars already. :)

Just last evening I was looking over my Amorpha fruticosa that I have outside in a big pot. I noticed that there were some folded over leaves, and sure enough, a female Silver-spotted Skipper had laid some eggs sometime recently when I wasn't looking. While I was standing there, along she comes (or another one), lands on a flower cluster right in front of me, and oviposits! It was so neat seeing her do that. I looked the plant over better and found some other eggs. I'd document the life cycle of a Silver-spotted Skippers, but being that it's a kind of butterfly that sews leaves shut for its shelter, I really don't want to be disturbing any by opening the leaves. I'll have my daughter take a picture of the egg. My camera quit working, so I rely on her to do any picture taking for me.

I hope that you all are getting a chance to raise lots of butterflies and help out the populations. Now if only we could control other things that could help them out even more, but alas, I don't see it happening. You know how some people are spraying fanatics. And what do you do about the butterflies' (and other wildlife) loss of habitat? Ask people not to have kids so that the butterflies won't lose more of their habitat from people building houses, etc.? Like my husband says, we do what we can to help them in our little area of the world and enjoy what we have here.
Cathy

Comments (7)

Sponsored