SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mboston_gw

Abundance of Gulf Frits

mboston_gw
13 years ago

This season seems to be starting with an overabundance of Gulf Frits. The funny thing is that I am seeing them on all types of Passionvines. My Incense is covered with them, especially if it is on the ground. I have also found them feeding on my Careula, which is a first for me. I have seen a few eggs on it before but not cats feeding on it. I haven't noticed that many on the Suberosa, which is normally where I find them. Anyway, its nice to see so many as I do have plenty of Incense for them.

I also have 7 Spicebush Swallowtail cats of different sizes and found 2 more eggs. Momma was out laying this morning again so there will be more. It seems a little early for them but then again, this season isn't normal by any means.

Have had a couple Sulphur cats already and a cluster of Polydamas cats a week or so ago. Still not seeing many Polys, just one around today. Not so bad as my vine is recovering nicely but it would not survive the onslot that I had last year.

Haven't seen the first Eastern Black yet, usually they are usually one of the first around. Nor have I seen my favorite Zebra Longwings. They had better show soon or the passionvine will be gone . The vine I got from Mail Order Natives is growing and has buds. However I don't think it is the Maypops I wanted. Too many red stems on it and the leaves look different from what I have found in the wild.

Monarchs are still around, have lots of milkweed for them but not seeing many cats. Found a big one yesterday but when I went to get it to bring in, it was gone so maybe it found a place to hang safely.

Hope everyone else is having a good season. Its really hot and humid here today.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!