SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicaldcguy

Introduction - and First Brugmansia (Super Nova)

tropicaldcguy
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a 39 yo guy with a major interest in fragrant tropical plants. I first fell in love with Brugmansia and Jasmine on a trip to Rome and Plumeria in Hawaii. Now, I'm trying to grow these things in Northern Virginia. The climate is great in the summer (for them, not me) but jasmine get eaten alive inside by spider mites.

I'm pretty excited because I got my first Brug two days ago -- a super nova -- from Logees. It looks like it's in good shape.

Any suggestions for a newbie? Anyone else ever grow a Super Nova?

Patrick

Comments (37)

• chena
    16 years ago

Hey Patrick!!!!!
    Welcome... glad you chose to come see us....Congrats on your new Brug! I only have a new start of SN but grow many more...
    LOL you think Spider Mites love Jasmine just wait till they get a good look at that Brug.. Be sure to keep an eye on it..The only other suggestion I really have is to not over water it while it is in the house...Once you get it outside just feed often , afternoon shade and plenty of water and air circulation.. and it should put on a show for you..
    Hey Ya'll we could start a lottery on just When Patrick thinks he just might need another Brug...LOL
    I'm afraid you will find this amazing plant to be a severe addiction.. and (Let me warn you) there are many who will be more than willing to feed this addiction...;^)

I look forward to seeing you around!!!
    Kylie

• daniellalell
    16 years ago

Hey Patrick, welcome to the wonderful world of brugs, and our lovely forum where it is more like family here than a forum. I'm pretty new here as well, just got started in Nov. So I will let the more experienced peeps pipe in on the advice part. Hang around here though, & you will find yourself addicted to brugs, beware because there are many enablers here, lol. Anyway..Just wanted to say Hey!

Hey guys...Another one for the "boy's club" lmao!!

Daniella

• Related Discussions

Alaska Fish Fertilizer !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q

Comments (30)
    Mary Jane I think that is the place we go to look at the alligators on the way to Lousiana. I love that place. I need to bring some kind of long stick or net with me next time to swipe some water hyacinth. None of mine came back. Yes I know they are illegal but they are not hardy here and I don't let them loose so don't care. I love them and they are good filters. The dogs love eating them almost as much as my lotus. I am afraid they have killed my sunflower one. I moved a chunk of it to another area they can't get to. I hope its viable. It didn't have any growth tips on it but not sure. I broke BB from messing with it last year now this year Lucy Lou just will not leave it alone. It must taste good to her. I have tried everything to keep her out of it. Now I have a mud hole instead of a lotus pot. Boohoo. I have a different one up front but that one was special.
    ...See More

eddie dewayne scoop

Q

Comments (53)
    I can say they are pretty expensive right now. Mine was $60.00 and he said when I bought it he was only selling like 3 this season. @ that time i was getting the second one as far as I know? Hope there is another one left. there will be more to come though im sure.
    ...See More

Introductions

Q

Comments (59)
    With the cooler temps creeping in I thought I should check in on our new forum. This is sooooooo great to have a WS Canada forum. I'm Laura and I am in Z5b .. but I could be wrong about that. Im in Burlington Ont. I have been WSing for the past three years. I dont often keep many of my seed babies but pass them on to others. I keep trying to find the right plant for the hard to plant areas. I love tropicals so I bring in about 70% of my garden every fall. MsJean is that a MG that I sent you .. does it look like this one .. if it is it is called Sunrise Serenade.
    ...See More

OT - beetles safe for koi?

Q

Comments (4)
    you sure? they're only like, 6-8 inches at this point. hell, I'll try it. those things live through everything. in fact, I've got a somewhat gruesome story for you. the big yellow one JUMPED OUT of the pond last night. dami found him, dry, on the deck, barely breathing, with splatters of blood in random patches in a 4 foot or so radius. we tossed him back in the pond, threw some salt on him and covered the pond. today he's FINE. I love koi. ok, I'm gonna go throw a banquet for the koi now. Ria
    ...See More
  • karyn1
    16 years ago

Hi Patrick,
    You'll love the brugs. They are some of the easiest sub tropicals to grow and you don't have to wait such a long time for blooms like you do with plumies. You can store them both under pretty much the same conditions over the winter. I don't have a Super Nova but I don't think that one is supposed to be fussy. The fussy ones seem to be the sanguineas and some of the doubles. Most of the others are relatively easy. I'm in Montgomery County and there's another member, Dave, who is in No VA. Once it's warm enough to put your brug outside you'll want to slowly acclimate it to the sun. You might have to protect it from direct sun during the hottest part of the day all summer. some varieties can take full sun, others can't. Your plant will let you know. They are also very quick to recover from abuse. Brugs are very heavy feeders during the growing season. I've never had a plant that "eats" as much as a brug. I start with a balanced fertilizer the very beginning of the season and switch to a bloom booster once a week until about a month before I put them away for the winter. I also give them epsom salts, kelp extract, superthrive and various other additives, including foliar feeds once a month during the growing season. You'll end up with more then one. They really are beautiful plants.
    Karyn

• gardenpaw
    16 years ago

Wecome Patrick!
    I have Super Nova just bought it last year, I can tell you
    the blooms are really big and I really like it so far.

Karen

• napdognewfie
    16 years ago

Hi Patrick, Welcome. I have Super Nova too along with over 40 others. I love the huge flowers. What city do you live in? I am in Western MD & especially happy to see more people at "my" end of the country.

Linda in Cumberland MD

• bonnie12210
    16 years ago

Hi Patrick welcome to the sometime crazy world of Brugs,okay okay,I said sometime crazy,when really its most of the time,and I for one can tell you this is not just a forum it is extended family.
    Bonnie

• plantlover49
    16 years ago

welcome Patrick. I joined back last year. you can really get good advise.good wishes. this group of bruggers are really knowledgeable. fun loving. & addicted. to brugs & good friends. hi everyone have missed ya all have had to dig out the snow storm we just had over the week-end plantlover49

• ponion
    16 years ago

New to the forum but have grown brugs for a few years and loving it. Was looking at a catalog at a friends home and discovered what they called a 3in1 brug. It actually had three colors of flowers growing on the same plant. Has anyone had experience with such a plant?
    Gwen

• tropicaldcguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the warm welcomes and advice. It figures that I'd start off with one of the harder brugs to grow. I'll try to take a pic of it to share so you can see how it progresses and help me out along the way. Right now, since I have it sitting near a window on the kitchen counter, I'm not fertilizing or watering it too much. I figure I'll start the fertilizer once I move it outside. Keep your fingers crossed.

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Hey, welcome to the family. I think I have a cutting of Super Nova if it didn't croak. I know it was on the rack with a lot that didn't make it. I need to check the tags and see. Once you get it outside it will be much easier. Watch for fungus gnats and spider mites. They are the devil, lol. Good luck and take pics.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    16 years ago

Hey Patrick,

Welcome. Where in Northern VA are you? I'm in Annandale, just outside the Beltway. I've got maybe 8 different varieties and will likely have a ton of cuttings to trade in the Fall, if you're interested. We've just moved into our house last summer, so this will be our first full growing season. Can't wait for warmer weather. I also grow plumerias and most all (of about 20+) will go in the ground this summer. We have a small group of folks who are interested in hardy palms and subtropicals. We ocassionally meet and do yard tours in the summer as well as share plants and cuttings. Email me if you want to be included on the email list.

• gardenpaw
    16 years ago

Hi Gwen, Welcome to the Forum!!!
    Glad to see you here!
    I have`nt seen the three in one blooming Brug as yet.
    Look forward to seeing you!

Karen

• onesimus
    16 years ago

Jumping on the wagon here to say "Howdy" to Patrick.
    I'm new here too and my wife's the one to be blamed for this addiction! Believe me, I'm her happiest enabler!
    Gwen could it be when the flower starts off it's white, then changes to a peach..then pink or whatever is its' final color? If that's so, you'd have 3 in one plant.

• rialira
    16 years ago

hi patrick! welcome! I'm still fairly new here too (joined the day after my 21st birthday this past fall, but lurked for a while before that). I'm new to brugs but I'm pretty good at tearing into people with false and cruel claims of strange colored brugs (LOLOLOL remember that guys?) and thusly I suppose I could be considered the resident guard dog, LOL.

I bought my super nova at logee's too! literally AT logee's, lol, they're about an hour west of me. it was my second brug after my inca sun, I bought it in like september and it hasn't really done much for me :\ damn thing barely even grows lol. I've got brugs I've started myself from cuttings this past fall that are already as tall as it, and a crapton more vigorous and healthy. oh well, hopefully when it goes outside it'll do better :)

hey! show us pictures of your new baby!

Ria

• chena
    16 years ago

Hey Gwen!!!
    Welcome!!! Sounds like someone my be selling a grafted Brug! I would love to see a pic of it.. I have one that is braided but hasn't bloomed yet ..
    I look forwar to seeing you around.. BTW!!! We love pic's ya'll.. We also don't get real touchy (like some forums) over OT stuff!!!! SOOOO feel free to show us what ya got!
    Speaking of OT!!!! Ya'll it is suppose to be 87* on Friday!!! WOO HOO!!! Yes my BA will be outside soakin it up...LOL

• ponion
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for your ideas on the 3in 1 brug.A graft sounds logical but will get more info to share. Since moving into my home here in FL over two years ago, I guess I've shared cuttings of my angel trumpets to the majority of my neighbors. They even call it the Gwen Plant! What's a beautiful plant if you don"t share it to be enjoyed by others.

Gwen

• greenthumbs2000
    16 years ago

welcome patrick and gwen.

i'll come out of lurkdom to join these knowledgeable folks in welcoming you. hope you'll find this forum as valuable as i have, great info and pictures. lots of green thumbs here!

• tropicaldcguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again, everyone, for the welcome.

By the way, how do I attach a picture into my message?

In a way, I find my interest in looking at other people's plants kind of funny. There's something voyeuristic about it. And I find I'm a little embarassed to tell people I enjoy looking at pictures of other people's plants growing. I need an addiction that's more socially acceptable. Sheesh. :-)

Dave, I'm in Alexandria (Del Ray) just outside of Old Town. Thanks for the offer to add me to the list of people into tropicals and yard tours. Sign me up! I'm into plumeria, too, and have two small ones I carted back from the Dole plantation in Honolulu. Once they're bigger, I'd certainly share cuttings. (There's not much to cut at this point.) I'd like to hear more about how you handle plumerias, especially the part about putting them in the ground.

Feel free to send me an email. I'm at hapki68@yahoo.com

Patrick

• lovelyiris
    16 years ago

Oh you poor thing Partick, you have no ideal what you are getting into on this Forum. You are surrounded by some of the very best people on GARDEN WEB. These folks will spoil you if given half a chance. The one draw back is you will have to log on here everyday just to see whats happening.

All of these folks are big time enablers. There are several you will really need to be carefull with or they will ship you more brugs than you could every imagine.

Welcome to our world, want you come on in? Just remember, you have been warned.

Happy Gardening and Brugging,
    Marian

• gardenpaw
    16 years ago

Welcome Onesimus!
    Glad to have you here!

Karen

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

WELCOME PATRICK: I am a last year newbie to Brugs and have already surrendered to the addiction!! I have a small Super Nova that right now has one bloom on it. It was worth the wait. Pretty white trumpet that is BIG and impressive. Hope to see you on the forum often.
    WELCOME GWEN: Your multi-colored Brug sounds lovely. Several Brugs begin their blooms in one color and then in ensuing days there is a color change. So sometimes when you have blooms at different stages of development, it will look as if the Brug is multi-colored. A pretty sight. Be sure to keep us posted on your Brug's progress.
    Gloria

• jeep461
    16 years ago

Welcome to the boys club. LOL we are out numbered but like it that way. I was bitten by the brug bug and it infected my entire universe. LOL I went from offshore and bay boats to flowers. My friends shake their heads. Some ask who my boy friend is and i say SHHHHHHHHHHHHH don't tell my wife (humor)(grin). Hey flowers are for guys also. Who cares what is socially acceptable. I talk to mine every day and night.

Jim

• gottahosta
    16 years ago

Patrick and Gwen-

Welcome to The Family!! You're done for now! LOL!

Brenda B

• threas
    16 years ago

Welcome, Patrick,Gwen & onesimus! Wow, our Brug family is growing by leaps & bounds!LOL Last summer was my first time with a NOID yellow that changes to orange.Now I have around 30 rooted cuttings of different named & unnamed(NO ID).I also have 3 brugs from seed & 1 Iochroma( a relative of brugs).Not to mention, plumeria, passiflora, amaryllis, african violets, etc......LOL
    Do you see where this is going? Anyway, nice getting to know you.

Theresa

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Just checked and lost both my Super Nova cuttings. (Frowning)

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

F4F: I hope I can help you out with SN cuttings. Give me a little more time to be sure she's grown-up enough to cut. Gloria

• chena
    16 years ago

Hey onesimus!!!! Welcome..
    Soryy I am so late...I look forward to seeing you around!!! We are a really great group and I hope you will just jump right in and post..Oh and we Love pics and are always looking for new ways to do things and would love to hear about everything as well as Brugs that you grow...
    Kylie

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Thank you Gloria. If I can get all mine outside where they will do better I will have plenty of cuttings to share once mine do some growing as well. Stick around onesimus we will corrupt you yet.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

Good to see you onesimus! Where you been hiding lately? Hope everything is going good with you and Jaye! Are you getting your plants outdoors yet where you live?

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Welcome Patrick, Gwen and onesimus! Isn't this group great!!!

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Welcome Patrick, Gwen and onesimus! Are you ready to be 'spoiled' by us all into the world of brug addiction & obsession?? :) By the end of summer you'll most likely have so many brugs you won't know what to do with them! lol! It DOES happen!

Mike

• onesimus
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome. Karen, Theresa, Kylie, Eloise and Mike, we are looking forward to amass more brugs and try out more crosses! Severely addicted here!
    SJN, the pots are slowly exposed outdoors, but brought back in at night. As for the seeds, looks like we might need your 'snake charmer'!
    Kel

• jas4141
    16 years ago

Welcome to all newbies. I've been around awhile but don't get into this forum as much as I'd like. I have Super Nova for a second year and the blooms including calyx and corola can measure 14-18 inches. It's one long sucker. The first blooms "drug" on the ground til it grew taller. Good luck with your new plants.

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Jarie, I'm sorry to say the ones I got from you died. They were doing good for a long time then dried out and died like some of the others I planted around that same time. I don't know what happened to them.

• clogg2232
    15 years ago

Hi Group...
    I ordered the 3 in 1 angel trumpet from "House of Wesley: :( what it turned out to be is 3 plants white,yellow,pink in the same pot. I ordered 3 and did plant them all. I too thought there would a grafted, but it wasn't.
    Now I don't know what to feed them. Can anyone suggest a food for these plants.
    I'm kind of new to this, as I moved from CA to TN when I retired and not very experienced.
    Lynne

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

With mine I mixed dried chicken manure and terracycle plant food into the potting soil and then I fertilize with water soluble miracle-gro. I think any balanced fertilizer will be OK, but I will let the more experienced people sign in.
    Shawn

• linda441
    15 years ago

A warm welcome to Patrick,Gwen & onesimus. You will love it here on the forum--these folks are knowledgeable and terrible enablers!! I came home from my trip and have Olympic Flame blooming!! Very pretty!! Sorry folks! No pics until my luggage catches up with me (if ever!!)
    Linda