SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heidinoel

Help? My Christmas cactus is dying...

heidinoel
17 years ago

I am wondering if you would be able to help me. Please!

I could really use some advice on my sick plant.

I have a Christmas cactus which has been passed down for generations. Two years ago, I received mine from my wonderful aunt who passed away. In addition to raising my child, my live's work is to keep this cactus alive!

The problem is this;

My cactus has grown and thrived for two years in my kitchen window. From the minute I brought it home it has been happy. The leaves have been full, and year round I see bright green new baby leaves, growning at the bottom of the older leaves.

I know this seems weird, but I water it only once a week, and at the end of that week, if the soil isn't totally dry at the top, I let it go another week w/ out water.

Up to this point, no problems!

The plant is in a hanging planter about 15" in diameter. It is in a window which gets indirect sunlight all day. (Our neighbors' house blocks any direct sun.)

The plant is large, I"m guessing it weigh abut 50lbs.

In the past three weeks however, I have noticed that the leaves at the end of the plant, and now, whole branches, are starting to get thin (no water in them?) and drop off. They are no longer plump and filled w/ water.

Some of the dying leaves are those which face the window, some are those which do not face the window.

In the past week, I gave it more water, but it hasn't seemed to do any good (the leaves are still thin and shrively).

Please, please can you offer some suggestions? i really can't let this plant die!

Perhaps you might also have some suggestions of anyone else I could also try.

I would love a house call from someone -- but I am in Masachusetts.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Heidinoel

Comments (14)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm