SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcclark_of_gardenweb

Regal/Luna Moth food needed in the near future

From the current Zebra Swallowtail thread:

turtledon wrote:

"As for the person from Ohio, I rate sumac along with poison ivey and Japonese honeysuckle and mosquitoes. If it gets loose, it will blanket the neighborhood."

I was at a rest stop in Virgina on Sunday where I got to see how staghorn sumac can take over a place.

Here is my dilemma. My new nextdoor neighbors cut the low branches off their sweetgum, including the ones that hung over my yard. My main sweetgum supply comes from the neighbors across the street that have 3 sweetgums. Unfortunately, they are going through a nasty divorce and the house will probably be put on the market.

I want to get something going on my property that can supply a decent amount of food in as short of time as possible. I was shooting for 2010 or 2011.

To accomplish this, I recently planted 4 staghorn sumacs but 3 died and the fourth doesn't look long for this world.

Since I'm back to the drawing board, I'm looking for less objectionable choices.

To give you some idea about how many sweetgum leaves I used last year, I raised 200 lunas and 16 regals. Currently, I'm raising zero lunas because of my sweetgum situation. I'm going to try to raise at least a few regals.

KC

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services