SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valentinetbear

Bugs on my Milkweed?

valentinetbear
14 years ago

A little background, on who I am, before I ask the questions. I am not a butterfly expert and haven't even gone as far as making a butterfly house yet. I don't want to raise them, just give some a small oasis as they fly by. I do like seeing them in my garden, and have been slowly working towards growing flowers and plants they like, as well as maintaining a drinking hole for them. Living in the city with a very small (16 X 16 foot) cement yard, I'm growing the plants in containers. I think I have the three plants needed for a happy monarch - milkweed (the common weed variety - sorry, didn't even know there were more types than two milkweeds, until I perused the FAQ section), parsley, and a butterfly bush. Now, the question -

Got a herd of small orange things towards the tops of many of the stalks of milkweed. I'm pretty sure they're aphids, but not even positive about that. Whatever they are, they stay there, even through the cold. Ended up soaking a dead branch of my clematis from last year in a jar of water, and they are still on it. (Put it in that water in March, too.) Soooo, any clues what I have growing on the milkweed? And, still guessing bugs - harmful, beneficial, or benign? If harmful, what do I do, assuming "no pesticides," since I'm trying to attract butterflies.

And, since this is my first year growing milkweed, (got seeds for ornamental and common milkweed from someone on the Net, last year, and something grew in that pot - might have been the ornamental, or maybe just weeds, but this years plants I know from growing up), they're already in bloom. Do I cut them back to rebloom? Do they rebloom? Never saw any butterflies on them, but not out there every minutes. Basically, want to know if butterflies will/have been using them already (if they did) or how do I keep them pretty to a butterfly? Also, what do I look for to find out if a monarch found one? Never intentionally grew a weed before, so I don't know what to expect, or what to look for, if the butterflies use them.

Sorry for such naive questions, but I can't figure out what to google to find out anywhere else.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals