SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamchesbay

ISO of Advice: What to Plant in Another Long Bed

Pamchesbay
14 years ago

In a recent thread ("What Are Your Favorites / Mainstays of Your Garden"), I asked for advice about a bed along part of a long driveway that curves around to the house. Lynda suggested that I plant BES the first year, start a seed farm, and revise the BES bed over time.

I liked that idea -- and the WOW factor from a bed of bright BES, perhaps mixed with white marigolds, maybe Helenium Autumanale, ornamental grasses, and ... well, you know how it goes. I'll go forward on this project. I also have lots of daffodils and tulips, and other "minor" bulbs that I'll plant if it ever stops raining.

Burning Question: If you were planning a 200-250' x 4-5' bed of BES, how much seed would you order? WS or direct sow? When would you plant it? Spacing? Other special considerations?

I'll start the seed farm. Given the generosity of WS members, I have a variety of seeds to start the farm. ;-)

Long Bed #2. I want to make an entrance bed at the top of the driveway (wider and deeper near the road), that flows into a bed about 100' long, 3-5' deep down the driveway. I want this bed to include interesting shrubs, flowers, and ornamental grasses for 4 season interest. The area has good soil, is fairly well-protected from wind, does not flood. Gets several hours of sun but not full sun.

I have water - last year, DH built a series of watering stations so I can water anywhere (as long as we have water in the well). Since this bed is about 900 feet from the house, I want it to be low maintenance after it's established.

I haven't created a good plan yet, so I'd like to make a colorful bed or border of flowers to welcome people to our home. I'm thinking of doing this one with BES too, so it can change over time. (I really like Token's pink and rose bed and have seed for many plants with those colors).

Suggestions? Something different?

Thank you!!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus