SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob740

RE: BBG-Ephiphyte House--Q. & Ans.

bob740
16 years ago

Hi all,

And some answers for the questions on the other post on 8/6/'07. [re-post of photo]

{{gwi:489811}}

HDD & LISA:

upper neo. is N.johannis x 'Oh No'

lower neo. is N.'Cane Fire'

[I'm also adding another good looker near those two,

N.chlorosticta x 'Sunrise',because I like it.]

N. johannis x 'Oh No'

{{gwi:489812}}

N.'Cane Fire'

{{gwi:489813}}

N.chlorosticta x 'Sunrise'

{{gwi:489814}}

GONZER: You're right,the displays need changing often so the public comes back often. So its never 'finished'.

ATMCCMN : I'm going to agree with HDD,that the Guzmania is G.'Tutti-Frutti'. The ID tag got wrapped up in the mounting stocking,so I could'nt get at it to verify it.

I'm very sure the id is right tho.

MARIO: The mounting varies by size and weight.

They use ladies silk stockings or pantyhose,wraped around the roots some with coarse potting mix added,some with Sphagnum Moss.

Also used is a soft flexable coated wire,aluminum I think,that is used by the Bonsai plant growers to shape trees.

It comes in various thickness,and is very good for mounting on tree limbs.

Small plants like Tillandsias are attached to the bark with Hot Glue,some also with monofilament fishing line. The attachment materials are then covered with Spanish Moss.

Some mounting pics:

{{gwi:489815}}

{{gwi:489816}}

{{gwi:489817}}

{{gwi:489818}}

{{gwi:489820}}

Comments (11)

• mario-one
    16 years ago

Thank you for the follow up Bob. Great pictures and information.

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

I thought that was 'cane fire' good to see the coloring is consistant from one plant to the next
    Thanks Bob

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Thanks, Bob, but are you sure you got those names in the right order?

Of the three Neos pictured, the first is the only one that could be Cane Fire (see link). Shane's picture looks more red, whereas yours looks more purple, but that's not unusual with photos, and the parentage [(carolinae x concentrica) x Barbarian] seems right on the money. The third one is what I would expect johannis x Oh No to look like, and chlorosticta x Sunrise would probably be marmorated, so the second one is the most likely suspect.

Maybe someone was playing musical tags? ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:489810}}

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

Lisa the first grex did have red..but the next one has the purple coloration...Shane talked about calling it 'purple cane fire'. The pups start kinda red and turn purple about half grown

• bob740
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lisa/hdd,
    I'll re-check the tags next visit. They may have been accidently switched when changing from Michael's yellow tags to the bbg metal tags. I was not involved with that,and I don't know Neos well enough to make my own
    correct ID's.
    [its also posible that I wrote the names down ok,but mixed up the location order when posting]
    I'll do any corrections if needed.
    Bob

PS:... OR,....Shane's plants are all labeled wrong!! Gahhh!
    ;^)

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

No Bob the plant name is correct..I spotted it because I have it its 'Cane fire'
    We were talking about the difference in the color from the FCBS site picture

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

That's not what I was talking about, HDD. The names listed at the top of each picture seem to me to be in the wrong order. You and I both agree that the albomarginated one with purple Barbarian-type markings should be Cane Fire, and not johannis x Oh No, as it is labelled.

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh I thought the labels were underneath the photo's LOL

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Well, if they are, then the third one's name must be GONZER. ;-)

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

roflmao !!!!!!!!!!

• User
    16 years ago

My 15 minutes of fame!

Sponsored
More Discussions